Yoga is such a medium, with the help of which many problems can be prevented from growing. One of these is also the increase of cholesterol, which causes many problems related to the heart. Cholesterol can increase due to oily and fat-rich foods . To reduce it, yoga is considered a great option. We will tell how yoga is beneficial to reduce high cholesterol and which yoga to do to reduce cholesterol.
Let us first know what is cholesterol and how it increases.
What is cholesterol?
Cholesterol is a type of fat, which looks waxy and sticky in appearance. It is manufactured mainly in the liver. For this reason, there is no need to take cholesterol from foods, especially dairy products. The body itself makes cholesterol, so its control is necessary. Due to uncontrolled cholesterol, risks related to heart disease, such as blood coagulation, obesity, high BP, heart stroke can be faced. For this reason it is necessary to have normal cholesterol level .
Now below in the article we will know the reasons for the increase in cholesterol.
How does cholesterol increase?
There are many reasons behind the increase in cholesterol, which if kept in mind, can be prevented from increasing. These reasons include.
- Poor diet – If one eats high fat food, then the level of LDL (bad) cholesterol can increase. These foods include meat, dairy products, chocolate and overly fried foods.
- Less physical activity – Getting less physical activity can lower HDL (good) cholesterol levels. Due to this, the level of bad cholesterol can be increased.
- Smoking – People who smoke, their HDL ie good cholesterol starts decreasing. Also, the level of LDL cholesterol may start increasing.
further information is required
In the next part of the article, we will tell how yoga is beneficial for reducing cholesterol.
How yoga is beneficial in cholesterol
It is generally recommended to take a balanced diet along with exercise to lower cholesterol. Of course, exercise and a balanced diet are necessary for health, but in some cases cholesterol alone cannot be controlled. In such a situation, doctors also recommend including yoga along with exercise in the routine to reduce cholesterol .
In a research done in this regard, it is also mentioned that by doing yoga, the level of bad cholesterol (LDL) can be reduced and the level of good cholesterol (HDL) can be improved. Due to this, the risks arising due to high cholesterol, such as blood thickening, obesity, high BP, heart stroke can be reduced. In such a situation, it can be said that cholesterol can be controlled by doing yoga.
Come, now let us know which yoga should be done to reduce cholesterol.
Yoga to reduce cholesterol
Many yoga asanas can be done to reduce high cholesterol. We are telling about all these yogasanas in detail further. Talking about the benefits, all these asanas of yoga can help in reducing bad cholesterol and increasing good cholesterol by strengthening the body’s metabolic process.
To reduce high cholesterol, you can do Sarvangasana Yoga . According to a study, doing yoga regularly can reduce the level of bad cholesterol like total cholesterol, total triglycerides, low density lipoprotein and very low density lipoprotein. Also, yoga can increase the level of high density lipoprotein (HDL). Sarvangasana is also one of the beneficial yoga for this in research.
Method of doing yoga:
- First of all, spread the yoga mat and lie down comfortably on your back.
- During this, keep the hands close to the body next to the waist.
- Now slowly raise your legs upwards.
- Then support the waist and hips with your hands and lift them up from the ground.
- After this, keeping the elbows on the ground, support the back with your hands and straighten the legs.
- Keep in mind that while doing this, the knees and feet should be together.
- Also make sure that the entire weight of the body is on the shoulders, head and elbows. Also, the chin is touching the chest.
- Try to stay in this posture for a few seconds and keep breathing and exhaling slowly.
- Now take a deep breath and slowly come back to the starting position.
- In the problem of hernia, do not do this asana at all.
- Do not attempt this asana if you have an injury or pain in your neck or shoulder.
- In case of thyroid problems, practice this asana only under the supervision of an instructor.
- This asana should not be done in case of heart disease.
The name of Paschimottanasana is also included in the list of yoga to reduce cholesterol. According to a scientific research, cholesterol level increases due to obesity and obesity can be controlled by doing Paschimottanasana. Paschimottanasana thus plays a helpful role in cholesterol control by reducing obesity.
Method of doing yoga:
- First of all, lay a yoga mat on the ground and sit with your legs stretched forward.
- Keep in mind that while doing this, the knees should be straight and the feet should be adjacent to each other.
- Keep the head, neck and spine straight.
- Now while exhaling slowly, bend forward and try to hold the toes with your hands. Be careful not to bend your knees.
- Now try to stay in this position for a few seconds and keep breathing slowly.
- After this, take a deep breath and become straight.
- If you have had an operation on your back, waist or any other organ, do not do this asana.
- People suffering from diarrhea should stay away from this asana.
- Pregnant women should not do this asana.
- People with asthma, ulcers and slip disc (bone related disorders) should stay away from this asana.
3. Kapalbhati Pranayama
Kapalbhati Pranayama can be included in the list of yogasanas for cholesterol. Actually, cholesterol also increases due to obesity, to reduce which Kapalbhati can be used. Regular practice of Kapalbhati can reduce obesity, whose positive effect can be seen on the control of cholesterol.
Method of doing yoga:
- First of all sit in the posture of Sukhasan or Padmasan by laying yoga mat.
- Now take a long deep breath and release slowly.
- In the process of exhaling, keep in mind that while doing this, the stomach should go inwards.
- Now keep the mouth closed and keep exhaling and inhaling through the nose.
- Do this process slowly and comfortably. Do not try to force at all.
- Keep doing this process as long as possible. When tired, stop for a while and repeat the process again.
- In this way, four to five cycles of Kapalbhati can be repeated.
- Do this asana only under the supervision of an expert who starts practicing for the first time.
- If you have blood pressure, epilepsy, migraine and heart problems , then before doing this asana, you must consult a doctor.
- Pregnant women should avoid doing this asana.
- Do not eat anything before doing Kapalbhati.
- Avoid doing this yoga during the menstrual cycle .
4. Ardha Matsyendrasana
If someone’s cholesterol level is high, then yoga can also be used for the treatment of high cholesterol. In a medical research published in this regard, it has been given that daily practice of Ardhamatsyendrasana can improve the metabolic rate. Due to better metabolic rate, harmful cholesterol can be reduced. Also, the level of good cholesterol can be boosted. In such a situation, Ardhamatsyendrasana can also be given a place in the list of yoga to reduce cholesterol.
Method of doing yoga:
- First of all, spread the yoga mat and sit with the legs spread straight towards the front.
- Now bend your right knee and place it on the outside of the knee of the left leg.
- Then, keeping the left knee bent, place the left heel under the right hip.
- Keep in mind that in this position the spine should be straight.
- Now try to hold the right ankle keeping the left arm outside the right knee.
- Then rotate the neck and waist to the right.
- Remain in this position for a few seconds.
- Later repeat this process from the other side as well.
- Women should avoid doing this asana during menstruation.
- Pregnant women should not practice this asana.
- Avoid doing this asana if you have undergone any type of surgery.
- This posture should not be done in the problem of peptic ulcer and hernia.
- Do not do this yoga even if you have pain or injury in the spine .
5. Anulom Vilom Pranayama
If you are wondering which yoga to do to reduce cholesterol, then you can do Anulom-Vilom Pranayama . During a research, regular practice of certain pranayama resulted in a reduction in the level of bad cholesterol and an increase in the level of good cholesterol. Anulom-Vilom was also one of those Pranayama.
Method of doing yoga:
- First of all spread yoga mat and sit in padmasana. If you want, you can also sit in Sukhasan, Siddhasan or Vajrasan.
- Now raise your right hand up and close the right nostril with the thumb. Then take a long deep breath through the left nostril.
- After this, close the left nostril with the smallest finger of your right hand and the finger along with it and exhale through the right nostril.
- Keep in mind that while doing this, the left hand should remain on the knee.
- Repeat this process for about five minutes.
- Do not take deep breaths while doing this exercise, suffering from heart disease, otherwise the problem may increase.
- Women should not practice this during menstruation and pregnancy.
- If you have undergone surgery of a particular organ, do not practice it at all.
Shalabhasana can also be done to reduce cholesterol. Obesity can be reduced by doing this asana. Research suggests that one of the main reasons for increasing cholesterol is obesity. Actually, increasing obesity also increases cholesterol. In such a situation, it can be said that cholesterol can be reduced by doing this yoga.
Method of doing yoga:
- First of all, lay down on your stomach by laying a yoga mat.
- Keep both your legs straight and spread your toes outward.
- Now make fists with both your hands and press them under the thighs.
- Then keep the head and mouth straight and look in front.
- Now taking a deep breath, try to lift both the legs above the ground. Be careful not to bend the knees.
- Raise the legs to the maximum height as possible.
- Try to stay in this position as long as possible.
- When the time is up, slowly come back to your starting position by bringing your legs down while exhaling.
- Repeat this exercise about three to four times at a time.
- Do not eat anything before doing this asana.
- If you have back, neck and head pain, do not try this asana.
- Pregnant women should not do this asana at all.
- In case of pain in waist, back and knee, do consult a doctor for this asana.
- While doing this asana, breathe through the nose only. Do not try to breathe through the mouth.
If anyone is wondering which yoga should be done to reduce cholesterol, then Chakrasana can prove to be a good option. According to scientific research related to this, cholesterol can be reduced by doing chakrasana. Also, it can reduce one of the reasons for increasing cholesterol i.e. weight.
Method of doing yoga:
- To do this asana, first of all lie down on the back by laying a yoga mat.
- In this position, make sure that both the arms and legs remain straight.
- Now bend your legs from the knees and bring them close to the hips.
- Then take the palms towards the sky behind the head and keep them on the ground.
- Now take a deep breath and raise the hips above the ground by putting weight on your feet.
- After this, putting weight on both your hands, lift your shoulders up and slowly straighten your elbows as well.
- Keep in mind that the distance between the two feet and the distance between the two hands should remain the same.
- Now straighten your hands from elbows and legs from knees completely.
- Then try to bring the head below the waist as much as possible.
- Keep in mind that do not try more than your capacity to bring the head below the waist.
- Try to stay in this position for a few seconds.
- Finally, while taking a deep breath, slowly come back to the starting position.
- Do not do this asana if you have wrist pain or carpal tunnel syndrome (numbness of muscles on pressure).
- Avoid doing this asana in case of back, shoulder and waist pain.
- This posture should not be done in the problem of high blood pressure.
- Pregnant women should not do this asana either.
Note: Do all the yoga mentioned above under the supervision of the instructor.
Yoga plays an important role in maintaining all kinds of balance in the body. keep the body healthy
And it can help to avoid all kinds of problems. For this reason, yoga can also be used to reduce high cholesterol. Just pregnant women should avoid these yogasanas. Also, if there is any kind of problem, do not do the yoga mentioned above without consulting an expert.
Now in the last part of the article, know the answers to the questions related to yoga for cholesterol.
Frequently asked questions
Does Surya Namaskar reduce cholesterol?
Yes, regular practice of Suryanamaskar can reduce bad cholesterol.
What does cholesterol lowering yoga mean?
Cholesterol lowering yoga means yogasana that can lower cholesterol. These include yogas like Sarvangasana, Paschimottasana, Kapalabhati Pranayama, Ardhamatsyendrasana.