How to do yoga for weight loss Obesity is fast becoming a global problem. Excess weight gain indicates many diseases. It is better to get rid of this problem in time. The problem of obesity depends on two things, first, how is the diet and secondly how much physical activity is being done. Obesity can be reduced by striking a balance between these two. It is important to take care of diet and there are many exercise options to choose from. Yoga is the best option for exercise. In this article, information has been given on this topic, how yoga can prove to be helpful for reducing obesity.
Yoga is a type of physical exercise. Doing this consumes calories. Now how many calories are spent, it depends on each person’s physical ability, yoga posture and method of doing.
Apart from this, yoga practice can also help in weight loss. Hence, yoga is recommended for weight loss. According to a research published on the website of NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information), yoga practice can help in weight loss in a psychological way. Yoga improves the functioning of a person’s muscles and metabolism, which can lead to weight loss. On the basis of all these facts, it can be said that by doing yoga, a person can remain physically and mentally healthy.
Let us now know which yogasanas can be helpful for doing yoga for weight loss.
Yoga for Weight Loss
Many yoga asanas have been considered effective under yoga to reduce obesity. We are telling about the major yogasanas here in detail. Here you will be able to know how these yogasanas are beneficial and how they are done.
Bhujangasana is made up of two words, Bhujanga and Asana. Bhujang means snake i.e. in this posture the body becomes like a snake. Hence, it is also called cobra pose. This asana is so beneficial for health that it is also practiced in Surya Namaskar. A research published by NCBI shows that Cobra Pose is also in the list of yogasanas that reduce belly fat in women. Also, a study of the International Journal of Yoga has suggested some asanas to reduce body mass index (BMI), including the name of Cobra Pose . Therefore Cobra Pose can be adopted as a yoga asana to reduce obesity.
1. Cobra Pose to reduce obesity
Bhujangasana is made up of two words, Bhujanga and Asana. Bhujang means snake i.e. in this posture the body becomes like a snake. Hence, it is also called cobra pose. This asana is so beneficial for health that it is also practiced in Surya Namaskar. A research published by NCBI shows that Bhujangasana is also in the list of yogasanas that reduce belly fat in women. Also, a study of the International Journal of Yoga has suggested some asanas to reduce body mass index (BMI), including the name of Bhujangasana . Therefore Bhujangasana can be adopted as a yoga asana to reduce obesity.
How to do Cobra Pose:
- To do yoga, lay a mat in a clean place.
- Now lie down on it on your stomach.
- Keep both the hands near the shoulder. Keep the forehead on the ground.
- Now while taking a long deep breath, try to lift the upper part of the body up to the navel while applying pressure towards the ground with the hands.
- In this way, first try to raise the head, then the chest and finally the navel part.
- Stay in this state for a while, keep breathing at a normal pace and try to look at the sky.
- After that slowly exhale and return to your starting position.
- You can repeat this action four to five times.
2. Baddhakonasana to reduce obesity
This asana can also be beneficial in yoga to reduce obesity. Baddhakonasana is a simple and healthy yoga method, commonly known as butterfly posture. Baddhakonasana is called Bound Angle Pose in English. Practicing this can improve metabolism, due to which one can feel more energetic. In a study published on the NCBI website, Baddhakonasana along with other asanas has been found to be effective in reducing waist circumference. It is considered an important asana of hatha yoga , which can help in reducing weight.
How to do Baddhakonasana:
- Sit on a clean posture and spread the legs in front.
- After this, bend the feet from the knees and join the two soles together.
- Grab the toes of your feet with both your hands.
- Then try to bring your heels as close to the body as possible.
- After this try to put both the knees on the ground.
- Keep breathing normally while doing this asana.
- Keep your waist straight.
- Stay in this position for two to three minutes.
- After that come back to normal position.
3. Malasana to reduce obesity
Malasana is also included in yoga to reduce obesity. malasana is also known as Upavesana or Garland Pose. This is an age-old seating arrangement, often used by farm workers. This pose called Malasana is also used in holding a punishment meeting. People who lack physical activity in their lifestyle, they must do this asana. By practicing this along with other yoga postures, the circulation of ghrelin hormone (the hormone that controls appetite) in the body is controlled. This process may also be helpful in improving physical performance and reducing obesity. Therefore, it can be said that yoga also includes malasana to reduce obesity.
How to do Malasana:
- Lay a yoga mat in a clean environment and stand straight in the posture of Namaskar.
- After this, keeping a little distance between both the feet, sit on the toes.
- Then slowly put the heel on the ground. This state is like passing stool.
- Now while exhaling, lean forward slightly. This state will remain as if the torso is stuck between the thighs.
- In this position, keep both the elbows straight at an angle of 90 degrees, so that they remain adjacent to the thighs.
- Stay in this position for some time and keep breathing at normal speed.
- After this, slowly come to the normal position and stand up straight.
4. Jalandhara Bandha Asana to reduce obesity
The next asana in yoga for reducing obesity is Jalandhara Bandha. In English it is called chin lock. This asana is helpful in increasing mental energy. Practicing it can reduce the risk of heart disease and blood pressure imbalance. However, more research needs to be done on how it helps reduce obesity.
How to do Jalandhara Bandha Asana:
- First of all, sit on the yoga mat in the position of Sukhasana.
- If possible try to sit in Padmasana.
- Place the palms on your knees.
- Now while taking a long deep breath, lift the stomach in and the chest up.
- Try to put your chin on the lower part of the neck by tilting it down.
- During this, keep the back straight and hold the breath.
- Stay in this position for some time.
- To come to the starting position, first raise your chin and then start breathing at a normal pace.
5. Garudasana to reduce obesity
If someone wants to do yoga to reduce obesity, then Garudasana can be beneficial. This asana is named after the bird Garuda, which is believed to be the vehicle of Lord Vishnu. It is also known as Eagle Pose in English. While doing this asana, the figure of the person looks like a bird of Garuda. One case study shows that Garudasana can be used for weight loss, but more research is needed to understand why it benefits.
How to do garudasana
- Stand straight on the yoga mat.
- Bend your knees slightly and bring both the hands towards the front.
- Now bring the weight of the whole body on the right leg and lift the left leg up.
- After this, move your left leg from the front of the right leg to the back.
- During this, the left thigh will remain above the right thigh.
- Now in the next step, you have to cross both the arms by bending the elbows. During this, the left arm is to be kept on top of the right arm.
- Then you have to try to bring both the palms in the salutation posture.
- Now keep yourself in this posture for as long as possible.
- Then slowly come back to your starting position.
- Now you have to do the same process on the other side i.e. with the right foot and hand also.
- Three to five cycles of this asana can be done.
6. Throne To Lose Fat
This asana is named as the throne because the person in its final posture resembles a growling lion. It is a very comfortable and healthy posture. If you want to do yoga to reduce obesity, then adopt it. It can be helpful in correcting the problems caused by weight gain to an extent. Scientists have also confirmed that obesity can cause diseases like thyroid and blood pressure. Regular practice of thrones can improve blood pressure and thyroid system. Therefore, this asana can be considered effective in reducing the risk of obesity. For now, more research is needed in this regard.
How to throne
- To do this asana, sit in the position of Padmasana on a yoga mat.
- Now put your hands forward and keep both the knees on the ground.
- After coming to this state, take out the tongue as much as possible.
- Open your eyes completely and look at the sky.
- Now take a long deep breath and then exhale from the mouth like a lion.
- Do this for about 2 minutes and then come back to the starting position.
- You can do this 5-10 times.
7. Adho Mukha Svanasana to reduce obesity
The name comes from the Sanskrit words adha, mouth and dog. Adha means ‘below’, mukha means ‘face’ and ‘swan’ means ‘dog’. While doing this asana, the figure of the person looks like a dog with his head bowed. There are many amazing benefits of this asana. Its regular practice can help to flatten the stomach. Therefore, if you want to do yoga to lose weight, then you can practice this asana.
How to do Adhomukha Svanasana:
- Get on your knees and hands on the yoga mat.
- Now try to raise the body from the middle with the help of hands and feet.
- In this state, your body will be supported only by the toes and hands.
- After this, put your ears on both the sides and look towards your navel.
- In this state, keep breathing at a normal pace.
- Try to stay in this position for as long as possible.
- This yogasana can be done about 4 times.
8. Pranayama to reduce obesity
Pranayama must be included in yoga for weight loss. Regular adoption of pranayama like Kapalbhati in lifestyle can be effective in weight loss. Experts believe that practicing this can improve the respiratory system. Along with this, the risk of stomach diseases i.e. constipation, acidity, diabetes and asthma can be reduced with Kapalbhati Pranayama. This is a great yoga pose to increase metabolism, which can reduce the risk of obesity .
- To do Kapalbhati Pranayama, sit in Sukhasana or Padmasana on a clean yoga mat or sheet.
- Place both your hands on the knees in front of you.
- Keep the waist straight and sit in a meditative posture with eyes closed.
- Now take a long deep breath and keep your mouth closed.
- After this, just exhale continuously through the nose.
- During this the mouth will remain closed and breathing will automatically take place through the nose.
- Doing this action 5 to 10 times will result in one round of Kapalbhati Pranayama. Repeat this as much as possible as a yoga posture to lose weight.
9. Surya Namaskar to reduce obesity
Surya Namaskar exercise can be beneficial in reducing obesity . The 12 asanas involved in this can be beneficial in building muscle strength and balance and reducing fat. Its practice can also prove beneficial for a depressed patient. According to a study published on the NCBI website, Surya Namaskar has been found to be effective in improving the condition of overweight and obese women. Performing Surya Namaskar can improve metabolic and cardiovascular health. This can lead to a reduction in fat mass. Due to this effect of Surya Namaskar, it has been included in the list of yogasanas to reduce weight.
How to do Surya Namaskar:
Surya Namaskar consists of 12 asanas, whose regular practice can reduce obesity. Come, let us know which are these asanas:
Stand up straight by laying a yoga mat in a clean and airy place. Now bring both the hands together in front of your chest and come in the salutation posture.
Now taking a long breath, keep the hands in this namaskar position and take them above the head. The hands should be straight and keep both the arms touching the ears. At the same time, keeping the lower part straight from the waist, bend backward as much as possible. Try to move the upper part of the body backwards as much as possible.
After this, while exhaling, try to keep both the palms close to the feet while bending forward. Keep in mind that in this position the knees should be straight and try to touch the head with the knees.
Now while inhaling, while sitting on your left leg, move the right leg as far back as possible. During this, the knee of the right leg should touch the ground and the weight of the body should be more on the left leg. Keep the hands facing the ground and look upwards.
While doing this asana, while exhaling, take the left leg backwards and keep the toes of both the feet parallel. After this, keep the feet completely close to the ground and raise the body from the middle. In this state, the arms and legs will remain straight and try to touch the ankles with the ground.
Now while breathing to come from Parvatasana to Ashtangasana, keep both the knees on the ground. Hold the breath and touch the chest and chin to the ground.
While doing this asana, hold the breath and try to raise the upper part from the waist to the navel and look at the sky. Keep in mind that during this time the hands should remain close to the ground and the chest should come out.
Now while exhaling, do Parvatasana once again. Move the body as high as possible from the middle. While doing this asana on the hands and feet, keep the arms and legs straight. Also try to see the navel.
While doing this asana, take a breath in and this time bring the right leg forward and take the left back. Keep the left leg straight.
While exhaling, bring your left leg back forward and rise, but the palms should be close to the ground near the feet and the knees should be straight.
Now taking a deep breath, stand straight and bring the hands in the salutation posture. Now move the hands above the head in this posture. Try to go backwards as much as you can.
At the end, stand up straight and bow down to the Sun God by bringing the hands down.
10. Halasana to reduce obesity
Halasana is involved in hatha yoga. It is made up of two words plow and asana. Plow means a tool to plow the ground and asana refers to the physical condition. When a person does this asana, his body looks like a plow, hence it is called Halasana. The name of this asana in English is ‘Plow Pose’. Halasana can be beneficial in doing yoga to reduce obesity and strengthen muscles. Studies on yogasanas suggest that the practice of Hatha Yogasanas, including Halasana, can be helpful in preventing diseases caused by poor lifestyle. Four risks such as overweight, high blood pressure, high blood sugar and cholesterol can be reduced by the practice of Halasana.
How to do Halasana:
- First of all, lay a yoga mat on a flat place.
- Now lie straight on your back on this mat.
- Keep your hands close to the body. The direction of the palms will be towards the ground.
- Now while inhaling, raise the legs up to 90 degrees.
- If there is a problem in lifting the legs, then you can support the waist with the hand.
- Now while exhaling, keep the legs straight and slowly move them backwards from the top of the head.
- Then try to touch the ground with your toes.
- Now remove the hands from the waist and keep them straight on the ground as before.
- Try to remain in this posture as much as possible and keep breathing at a normal pace.
- Now while breathing slowly come back to the starting position.
- You can do this yoga asana three to five times according to your ability.
In this article, you learned how yogasanas can be effective for weight loss and their method has also been explained in detail. It would be better if in the beginning these yogasanas should be practiced under the supervision of a yoga expert. Also, along with yoga, take special care of diet to reduce obesity. With regular practice of yoga, it can be effective for obesity. Therefore, make sure to take some time out of the busy routine every day for yoga and pranayama.