It is impossible to tell when one is in the mood to eat during pregnancy. At this time, many times women feel like eating foods that are not considered right for pregnancy. For this reason, women are advised to be alert and aware in this delicate period. In such a situation, the question is coming in your mind whether black urad dal is safe to eat during pregnancy or not. Here is information related to the consumption of black urad dal during pregnancy. Along with this, the benefits and precautions of eating urad dal during pregnancy have also been explained.
Is It Safe To Eat Urad Dal During Pregnancy?
Yes, it is safe to eat urad dal during pregnancy. It can be consumed not only in breakfast but also in lunch and dinner. Just keep in mind that a pregnant woman should have only two to two and a half cups of pulses in her diet throughout the day. In this, limit the quantity of urad dal to about one cup i.e. 30 grams.
Apart from this, the iron present in urad dal is also considered beneficial during pregnancy. This is also mentioned in the guideline ‘ Prevention of anemia in pregnancy ‘ issued by the Government of India. According to this, it is good to consume black urad dal rich in iron and folic acid (IFA) to avoid anemia during pregnancy. In addition , it is also recommended to eat protein-rich food during pregnancy , which includes urad dal.
Next, you will read about the nutrients found in black urad dal and their quantity.
Nutrients Of Urad Dal
Here we are telling the nutrients and their quantity per 100 grams of black urad dal, which are as follows.
- Black Urad Dal per 100 grams provides 350 kcal energy, 24 grams protein, 1.5 grams total lipid (fat), 60 grams carbohydrates, 3 grams sugar and 29 grams fiber (Total Dietary).
- Talking about minerals, 100 grams of black urad dal contains 200 mg calcium, 7.2 mg iron and 40 mg sodium.
Scroll further to know the benefits of eating black urad dal during pregnancy.
Benefits Of Eating Urad Dal During Pregnancy Benefits Of Urad Dal In Pregnancy
Urad Dal is kept in the power food category. For this reason, the following can be the benefits of eating urad dal during pregnancy.
- For better development of the fetus – Protein is considered essential for better development of the fetus during pregnancy. Black gram is also an excellent source of protein. This is also confirmed by a guideline issued by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. It states that protein-rich black urad dal should be consumed during pregnancy. In such a situation, including urad dal in the diet can be considered a good option for a healthy pregnancy.
- For digestion – Constipation is very common during pregnancy. This is the reason why it is recommended to consume fiber rich foods during pregnancy . A research has clearly stated that urad dal contains both soluble and insoluble fiber, which can be helpful in keeping digestion healthy.
- For the supply of calcium – According to a research available on NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information), both pregnant women and unborn babies need calcium . Adequate intake of calcium can prevent the newborn from the problem of low birth weight. This is the reason why pregnant women are asked to consume more and more calcium-rich foods in the second and third trimesters. The name of urad dal is also included in the list of such diets In addition, maintaining a proper calcium intake during pregnancy also helps prevent the risk of weak bones. Along with this, calcium is considered beneficial in removing the risk of pre-eclampsia and premature delivery, a serious condition of high blood pressure.
- Prevention of anemia – Pregnant women need proper dosage of iron for both themselves and the unborn child. As soon as it is deficient, the possibility of anemia starts increasing. In addition, iron is also considered essential for the mental and physical development of the fetus. In such a situation, the consumption of urad dal can prove to be beneficial, because it contains sufficient amount of iron.
- Make the body energetic – It is necessary to have energy in the body for the growth of the baby during pregnancy and for the development of the tissues of the mother’s breasts, uterus and placenta. Urad dal can be consumed to maintain it. Actually, carbohydrates, lipids and proteins have an important role in providing energy to the body All these elements break down various chemicals and transport them to the cells. This keeps the body getting energy. We have already mentioned that urad dal is rich in proteins, lipids and carbohydrates. In such a situation, it can be said that consuming urad dal is beneficial for pregnant women to maintain physical energy.
- Relieving pain – Joint and muscle pain can increase due to changes in a woman’s body during pregnancy. At the same time, urad dal has analgesic i.e. painkiller and anti-inflammatory properties. Both of these effects may be helpful in relieving body aches and swelling during pregnancy.
- For a healthy weight – It is necessary for a woman to have a healthy body weight during pregnancy. If the pregnancy is very low, there is an increased risk of premature birth and low birth weight of the baby. This can also slow down the development of the baby in old age In such a situation, to maintain the right weight, pregnant women are advised to include different types of pulses in the diet. On this basis, it can be said that consuming urad dal will also help pregnant women in maintaining a healthy weight.
- Rich in nutrition – For a healthy pregnancy, the diet needs to include proteins, vitamins, minerals, fats as well as other essential nutrients. Black urad dal can be consumed for these essential nutrients. Yes, urad dal is rich in protein and fiber as well as minerals and vitamins like zinc, iron and magnesium.
Understand further what things should be kept in mind while consuming black urad during pregnancy.
Precautions To Be Taken While Consuming Black Gram During Pregnancy
If women have a desire to eat urad dal during pregnancy, then they can easily consume it. Just do not forget to pay attention to some important precautions related to its use.
- Cook urad dal only after washing it thoroughly. Washing will remove the germs present in it and the ration insects like mites.
- Always consume well ground and cooked urad dal only.
- If you are eating urad dal in a restaurant instead of at home, then before eating, make sure that there is not much spice in it.
- Eat cooked urad dal fresh only. Avoid consuming stale pulses.
- Always use unpolished lentils for cooking.
- Do not consume black urad dal in quantity of half or more than one cup. Actually, it is rich in fiber. Consuming it excessively can cause flatulence, gas formation and stomach cramps.
- If other pulses are also included in the diet, then reduce the quantity of urad dal.
- Black urad dal is digested slowly, due to which it can cause digestive problems. In such a situation, if the woman has problems with indigestion or acidity , then before consuming urad dal during pregnancy, take doctor’s advice.
- Buy split urad dal only, as whole urad dal takes longer to cook. Because of this many times they remain half cooked.
- If there are too many weevils in the urad dal and the bottom dal has become powdery, then do not use it at all.