This sweet potato casserole is the perfect combination of sweet potato filling and crunchy, buttery pecan topping. This is our most requested sweet potato recipe and it is always a hit with family and guests. This is the only sweet potato casserole you need.
The casserole is especially good with baked ham, pork, and turkey.
This tried-and-true sweet potato casserole is the perfect side dish casserole for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. You don’t have to wait for the holidays to enjoy this casserole recipe—add it to your Sunday dinner menu or serve it with pork chops or fried chicken any day of the week.
The recipe is easily doubled for a crowd. If your family prefers a marshmallow topping, check out the variations below the recipe.
What you’ll need
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes, chilled*
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed, split)
- 2 big
- eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup butter, melted (divided)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 ounces chopped pecans (1 cup)
How to Make it
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Butter a 2-quart casserole or baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine mashed sweet potatoes with 1 cup of the brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, milk, and 1/2 cup of melted butter. mix well; Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- In another bowl combine remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, flour, remaining 1/4 cup melted butter, and chopped pecans; Mix well.
- Sprinkle picnic topping mix on top of sweet potato casserole.
- Bake the casserole for 35 to 40 minutes, until the filling is hot and the topping is browned.
* Peel 3 large or 4 medium sweet potatoes; Cut them into 1-inch slices and put them in a saucepan. Cover with water, bring to a boil; And reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the pan and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender. Drain, mash, and let them cool slightly before using in a recipe.
Prepare the sweet potato filling the day before to make ahead . Transfer to prepared baking dish, cover, and cool. You can also prepare the topping in a separate bowl; Cover and refrigerate. Take the casserole out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. Spread with topping and bake as directed.
- Marshmallow Topping – Omit the pecan topping and bake the casserole for 30 minutes. Top with about three to four cups of the mini marshmallows. Return to oven for 10 minutes, or until marshmallows are lightly browned.
- Pecan and Marshmallow Topping – Reduce the pecan topping ingredients by about half and sprinkle around the edge of the baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, then fill the center with about two to three cups of miniature marshmallows. Continue baking for 10 minutes, or until marshmallows are lightly browned.
|Nutrition Guidelines (per serving)|
|total fat||33 grams|
|Saturated fat||14 grams|
|Unsaturated fats||13 grams|
(Nutrition information on our recipes is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered estimates. Individual results may vary.)