Let us know about the side effects of guava during pregnancy. When you conceive, dietary changes are necessary for your good health. For the good development and growth of the unborn baby, the doctor must have advised you to increase the intake of fruits, vegetables and nuts. It is also necessary to choose healthy things for yourself during this period, but it is not necessary that everything which is healthy is safe to consume during pregnancy. Through this article, we will tell you whether it is safe to consume guava during pregnancy or not. Many people believe that eating guava during pregnancy can cause stones in women. However, there is no medical evidence for this. Let us know whether you can consume guava during your pregnancy or not!
nutritional value of guava
Guavas are very nutritious, and experts believe that eating guavas during pregnancy can be very beneficial. Guava is rich in vitamins, minerals and folic acid. Read on to know the nutritional information about guava.
1. Guava is rich in essential vitamins
Guava contains various types of vitamins, such as vitamins ‘A’, ‘C’, B2 and ‘E’. It is believed that guava contains more Vitamin ‘A’ and Vitamin ‘C’ than oranges and lemons.
2. Guava is an excellent source of folic acid
Ascorbic and folic acid are very important elements for the proper development of the fetus. These two types of acids are found in guava. The folic acid present in guava also helps in the development of the circulatory system and nervous system of the baby.
benefits of eating guava during pregnancy
Consuming guava during pregnancy is beneficial for your overall health. Eating guava in the morning can prevent the problems of morning sickness. Due to the high amount of fiber and water present in guava, it should be an integral part of the pregnancy diet. Eating guavas during pregnancy can also help maintain blood pressure and prevent gestational diabetes, which commonly affects women during pregnancy.
Apart from these benefits, guava has many other health benefits as well. Read on to learn why this delicious fruit is great!
- Regulates blood pressure levels: One of the benefits of eating this fruit during pregnancy is that it regulates blood pressure and prevents the formation of blood clots thereby maintaining the fluidity of the blood. As a result, eating guava can prevent the possibility of miscarriage or premature birth.
- Controls cholesterol levels: The high amount of fiber present in guava also controls the cholesterol levels in the blood. High cholesterol gives rise to cardiovascular complications which can prove to be quite harmful especially during pregnancy. So eat guava and keep your cholesterol level under control.
- Lowers the risk of anaemia: Iron deficiency anemia is most common during pregnancy. When suffering from iron deficiency anemia, the blood is not able to carry enough oxygen to the tissues throughout the body. This can affect the health of the mother and the baby. But the chances of anemia can be reduced by consuming iron-rich foods like guava. Consuming vitamin-C rich fruits like guava helps in the absorption of iron and can reduce the chances of anemia during pregnancy.
- Relaxes muscles and nerves: The magnesium present in guava can help relax muscles and nerves during pregnancy.
- Prevents Infection: Guava is known for its anti-oxidant properties and is rich in vitamins ‘A’, ‘C’, and ‘E’. They also contain polyphenols and carotenoids. The vitamins and anti-oxidants present in guava help fight and prevent bacterial infections and also reduce the risk of getting sick.
- Prevents Gestational Diabetes: Guava not only helps in reducing the blood sugar level but also helps in controlling it which can ultimately help in preventing gestational diabetes.
- Regulates digestion: Eating guava can help keep digestive problems at bay and ensure smooth functioning of the digestive system. The potassium present in guava also helps in reducing acidity and heartburn.
- Helps in fetal development: Guava is an excellent source of folic acid, calcium and vitamin ‘B9’, this fruit helps in the healthy development of the baby’s brain and bones.
- Keeps Constipation Away: Constipation and piles are a common problem during pregnancy. Hormonal changes are usually the cause of these problems, but this problem of constipation can be overcome by eating guava. The fiber and water content present in guava keeps problems like constipation at bay. Eating guava along with the seeds can also prevent piles.
Apart from the benefits mentioned above, eating guava strengthens the immune system, increases energy levels and reduces stress hormones in the body. There is also a main fact that guava is rich in vitamin ‘C’, lycopene and anti-oxidant elements, so eating guava is also beneficial for skin and hair.
side effects of eating guava during pregnancy
Although, guavas are very tasty and provide many health benefits, but if you consume guavas in excess during pregnancy, you may develop certain health complications:
- The fiber present in guava eliminates digestive problems, but consuming it in excess can also cause diarrhea.
- Like other fruits, guava is also stored using a lot of chemicals. These chemicals can cause bacterial infections and can have adverse health effects during pregnancy. Therefore, it is important to wash it thoroughly before eating.
Consuming Guava Juice or Fruit
Eating most fruits raw and in their natural form gives more health benefits. Guava is one of them but there are many other ways to consume this fruit. In general, guava can be eaten in the form of jelly, jam, salad and juice. However, consumption of guava juice and jelly and jam made from it should be avoided during pregnancy.
Before eating guava during pregnancy, make sure that you wash, cut and eat clean, hygienic and ripe guavas. Ripe guavas taste wonderful, you can also eat them by making salads with other fruits.
frequently Asked question
1. Which is the Healthier Option During Pregnancy?
Many people like to eat raw guava and there is nothing wrong in that. If consumed in the right amounts, an unripe guava can be just as nutritious as a ripe guava and provide many health benefits. However, eating raw guava is not recommended during pregnancy. It is suggested that you eat ripe guavas as they are rich in Vitamin ‘C’. If you have dental problems, do not eat raw guavas at all as trying to eat hard and unripe guavas can give you severe pain in your teeth. For good health choose ripe guavas instead of raw guavas.
Guava is extremely nutritious and is completely safe to consume during pregnancy. You can eat ripe guava or drink guava juice even during pregnancy. Just make sure that you take necessary precautions before consuming guava so that your body can absorb all the necessary nutrition from this juicy fruit. However, you must consult a doctor before including this fruit in your diet during pregnancy. Also, let us discuss how many guavas you should eat in a day or a week. The doctor or dietician can advise you to consume guava in the right quantity as per the requirement of your body. Eat healthy and keep your pregnancy healthy.