Let us know about the side effects of beetroot during pregnancy. Nutritious diet during pregnancy is very important for the health of the mother and the development of the baby, that is why pregnant women are advised to eat vegetables and fruits. But there are some types of vegetables and fruits too, which are often confused about consumption during pregnancy. There are many of us who have this feeling about ‘beetroot’ as well. Undoubtedly, beetroot is one such vegetable in the form of root which is widely used all over the world and it also has many health benefits. But the special thing is that beetroot has also proved beneficial for pregnant women. Read this article to know how beetroot can be beneficial for pregnant women and the unborn child.
Amazing Benefits of Consuming Beetroot During Pregnancy
Beetroot is rich in many nutrients and components that aid in the growth of the unborn baby. Consuming it during pregnancy can have the following health benefits;
1. Removes anemia
Beetroot contains a fair amount of iron, which increases the number of red blood cells and reduces the risk of anemia during pregnancy.
2. Boosts Immunity
The anti-oxidant properties present in beetroot improve your immunity and help protect against infections during pregnancy.
3. Reduces the risk of osteoporosis
Pregnant women are at a higher risk of osteoporosis – a condition that makes your bones weak and brittle. Beetroot contains a fair amount of silica and calcium, which keep your teeth and bones strong.
4. Regulates Metabolism
Beetroot is rich in potassium so consuming it balances the electrolyte levels in your body and regulates metabolism. It is also known to maintain the level of metabolism during pregnancy.
5. Prevention of inflammation
Beetroot contains an anti-inflammatory substance called betaine which prevents swelling, pain and inflammation in the joints during pregnancy.
6. Controls blood sugar levels
Beetroot has low glycemic index. It takes more time to convert into glucose and get absorbed in the blood. Hence this food item helps in maintaining your blood sugar level.
7. Helps in fetal development
Rich in folic acid, beetroot promotes healthy growth and development of your baby. This food item also helps in the development of your baby’s spinal cord.
8. Promotes Liver Health
The betacyanin present in beetroot detoxifies your liver and blood. It also removes fatty acids and toxins from your body as well as ensures good pregnancy health.
9. Provides Vitamin ‘C’
The amount of vitamin ‘C’ present in beetroot helps in the absorption of iron and ensures a healthy pregnancy and healthy delivery.
10. Prevents birth defects
Folic acid promotes healthy tissue and fetal development. It also prevents birth defects like spina bifida by ensuring optimal development of the spinal cord.
Dangers of consuming beetroot during pregnancy
Despite the many benefits of beetroot, there are some side effects of consuming it during pregnancy;
- Beetroot contains betaine, which can cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea and other gastrointestinal problems.
- The nitrate content present in it can cause fatigue and weakness during pregnancy.
- Drinking too much beetroot juice can temporarily paralyze your vocal cords.
- Consuming beetroot in excess can also cause a condition called beeturia, which can turn your urine and stools red in color.
- The amount of ‘oxalate’ present in beetroot can cause kidney stones.
How to include beetroot in pregnancy diet
After the problem of morning sickness and nausea during pregnancy subsides, you can eat beetroot without feeling nauseous. During this period, you can include beetroot in your diet along with other vegetables. Starting a nutrient-dense diet like beetroot during the second trimester is a great way to maintain a healthy pregnancy and delivery. Learn here how you can eat beetroot during pregnancy;
1. Beetroot Tea
Drinking warm beetroot water provides physical energy and the best part is that it does not contain caffeine!
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Beetroot (peeled and finely chopped) – 4
- Honey – 1/2 cup
- Lemon – 2
- Boil water in a vessel and add beetroot, lemon juice and honey to it.
- Let this water boil for some time.
- Switch off the flame and let the mixture soak like this for about 20 minutes.
- Finally filter it and drink it.
2. Beetroot Powder
An easy way to consume beetroot is to grind it into a fine powder and drink it after mixing it with water or juice.
- Beetroot – 1
- Wash, peel and cut the beetroot into thin pieces.
- After this, dry the cut beetroot. To dry, you can keep it in the oven on low heat or you can cover it with a net and dry it in the sun.
- After the beetroot pieces have dried, grind them to make a powder.
- Store this powder in an air tight container and use as required.
Although it is important to consume beetroot during pregnancy, but still do not consume it in excessive quantity at all. You should consume this natural food only twice a day. However, before consuming it regularly, do discuss it with your doctor.