Should we eat almonds in summer or not; Let us know about Should we eat almonds in summer or not. Almonds are a delicious, versatile and extremely healthy nut. Almonds are a symbol of fertility, prosperity and are one of the most widely used fruit trees in the world. Today almonds are grown and cultivated in India, the United States, Europe and Australia.
They are one of the richest sources of Vitamin E and consumption of almonds provides various health benefits. Just a handful of almonds a day is a healthy option for your heart, your waistline, and your skin.
Almonds are a good source of healthy fats, protein, and several vitamins and minerals. Due to these healthy nutrients, almonds help in reducing cholesterol and blood sugar levels in the body.
Apart from this, almonds help in reducing weight, improving eye health, making skin healthy and many more. Almonds also have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects that help maintain a healthy nutrient balance in the body.
Almonds are a rich source of antioxidants and most of the antioxidants are present in their brown skin. One of the essential health benefits of almonds is that they are rich in powerful antioxidants.
These antioxidants help protect the body from harmful oxidative stress and infection. They are perfect for improving health. 100 grams of almonds contain 8.0–20.9 mg of α-tocopherol (antioxidant).
What are almonds?
The almond (Prunus amygdalus) is a seed that grows on almond trees and is related to peaches, plums, and cherries. Almonds are commonly known as nuts and share many characteristics with other nuts.
Almonds are of an elliptical shape that looks like an ovary or an eye. There is a part of our brain known as the amygdala, which is named after an almond because of its similar shape.
Almonds are born inside a cream-colored shell covered with a grayish-green, hairy rind. When the fruit ripens, the rind bursts and the shell falls to the ground. After this the seed inside it (almond) becomes edible.
Almonds are among the earliest known cultivated fruit trees. Evidence of almond trees exists from the early Bronze Age. Almond trees are deciduous and grow up to 10 m in height with a 30 cm trunk diameter.
The trees bear beautiful flowers that are white and pink, appearing in early spring. The Chinese consider the almond to be a symbol of feminine beauty and enduring sorrow. Christian symbolism often uses acacia branches as a symbol of the Virgin Birth of Jesus.
Almonds are rich in healthy fats (also known as monounsaturated fats). They are also high in magnesium, manganese, calcium and potassium and are high in antioxidants including vitamin E.
Nutrition value of almonds
The nutritional benefits of almonds are amazing. They’re packed with nutrients, and these nuts are versatile, too. From sweet to savory, you can make dishes that use almonds in some form or the other.
Interestingly, almonds are not nuts. From a botanical point of view they belong to the family of drupes along with apricot and cherry. However, due to their similarity to other nuts, almonds are commonly referred to as tree nuts.
Their modest size does not match with the immense benefits they contain. Although almonds are small in appearance, they are equally healthy. Nutritional Value of Almonds- 100 grams of almonds contains:
- Calories : 579 kcal
- Carbohydrates : 21.6 grams
- Dietary Fiber : 12.5 grams
- Sugar: 4.4 grams
- Fat: 49.9 grams
- Protein : 21.2 grams
- Vitamin E : 25.6 mg
- Riboflavin : 1.014 mg
- Manganese : 2.285 mg
- Magnesium : 268 mg
- Phosphorus : 484 mg
Nutrition Facts of Almonds
- It contains 22% carbohydrate, 21% protein and 50% fat. Almonds are a great source of protein for vegetarians.
- Almonds are a calorie rich food.
- They are an excellent source of Vitamin E. Almonds contain 171% of the daily recommended value in 100 grams.
- All the B vitamins are present in the right amounts in almonds. Riboflavin (B2) in particular has 85% of the Daily Recommended Value.
- It is rich in choline which is a rare nutrient found in foods.
- The mineral profile of almonds is also impressive. Contains 109% of the Manganese Daily Recommended Value. The list also includes magnesium, phosphorus and copper, each of which has more than 50% of the daily requirement.
- Zinc, calcium and iron are also present in small amounts.
- Like other nuts, almonds are also rich in phytosterols. These compounds are similar to cholesterol and block their absorption in the body.
Myths About Almonds and Fat Content
Many people are afraid to consume almonds because of their high fat content. It is horrifying to know that almonds contain almost 50% fat. No need to worry though, as two-thirds of this fat is good for you.
In addition, they are heart-friendly monounsaturated fats. Research also says that eating almonds within a prescribed limit does not increase your weight. On the contrary, they improve heart health and help in weight loss. Thus the benefits of almonds are manifold.
What are the benefits of eating almonds?
There are many benefits of eating almonds, which are as follows-
1. Regulates blood sugar level
Patients with diabetes are often concerned about high sugar foods or overeating in general. Blood sugar levels tend to rise rapidly after a meal, which is why people with type 1 diabetes must take insulin shots to keep their glucose levels under control.
Although almonds cannot replace your diabetes pills or insulin, they can help control your blood sugar levels to some extent. Eating 2-3 almonds before meals helps in faster absorption and digestion of food.
2. Control blood pressure
One of the best benefits of eating almonds daily is that it controls your blood pressure. Research shows that high protein intake lowers your blood pressure and keeps it under control over time.
Plant proteins have been shown to be more effective than animal-based proteins. The high protein content and other important elements in almonds play an important role in controlling blood pressure.
3. Good for Your Brain
Almonds are considered the best food for cognitive development in children. It has long been considered a healthy dry fruit for your brain development and overall mental health.
It is rich in L-carnitine and riboflavin, which reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease. However, more research is needed to link almonds to your brain health. Experts believe that this magical ingredient can improve your brain activity.
4. Helps in weight loss
If you’re trying to lose weight, try almond milk. Add this incredibly delicious and sweet drink to your daily diet and see the effect on your weight in just a few weeks.
Almonds keep you full for a long time. This prevents overeating. The best part is that almonds are low in calories and increase the feeling of satiety, even if you eat a few almonds every day.
All these things contribute to fitness and the right weight. Almonds, along with other low-calorie foods, can help you lose excess weight. But almonds alone do not help. To lose weight, you need exercise, a healthy lifestyle and a good diet.
5. Makes bones strong
Among the many nutrients and minerals, the phosphorus present in almonds is considered the most important for children and adults. Your body needs enough phosphorus for the health of your bones and teeth.
You must include enough phosphorus in your diet to maintain bone strength and prevent bone diseases such as osteoporosis. Almonds are a very good source of phosphorus.
Unfortunately, there are no clinical studies suggesting benefits of almonds for people with osteoporosis or arthritis. But, if you have low bone density or a lack of phosphorus causes pain, eat some almonds daily.
6. Good for Cholesterol
For good heart health, you must have low LDL (low-density lipoprotein) and high HDL (high-density lipoprotein). A study shows that almonds reduce bad cholesterol
This can prevent the risk of heart diseases in adults. Replacing your evening snack with a handful of almonds is a great way to improve cardiovascular health.
Should we eat almonds in the summer season or not?
Almond is a type of nut which is rich in nutrients and health benefits. They are a good source of protein, fiber and healthy fats. Almonds are also a good source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E, magnesium, calcium and iron.
Almonds are a popular snack food, but they are also used in cooking and baking. It is a versatile ingredient that is added to a variety of dishes. Almonds are a healthy and delicious snack that can be enjoyed by people of all ages.
Almonds are especially beneficial in the summer season. That’s why you can consume almonds in limited quantities during the summer season. They are very beneficial in the summer season.
Some of the benefits of eating almonds in summer are as follows:
- Almonds are rich in essential nutrients, including healthy fats, fiber, protein, vitamins (vitamins E and B) and minerals (such as magnesium and calcium). Their consumption enhances valuable nutrition.
- Almonds contain healthy fats and proteins, which help you feel full and satisfied between meals. These are especially beneficial for maintaining a healthy diet during summers.
- Almonds have a high water content, which contributes to your overall hydration levels, especially when consumed with plenty of water.
- Almond helps in controlling the body temperature. They contain magnesium, which helps regulate body temperature.
- Almonds help in increasing the energy level. They are a good source of protein and fiber, which help you feel energized throughout the day.
- Almond helps in improving digestion. They are a good source of fiber, which helps in keeping the digestive system healthy.
- Almond helps protect the skin from sun damage. They are a good source of vitamin E, which is an antioxidant that helps protect the skin from sun damage.
- Almond helps in reducing the risk of heart disease. They are a good source of monounsaturated fats, which help lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Almonds help reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. They are a good source of fiber, which helps control blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Almonds help in improving cognitive function. They are a good source of vitamin E, an antioxidant that may help protect against brain damage.
- Almond helps in reducing the risk of cancer. They are a good source of antioxidants, which can help protect the body from cancer-causing cells.
Disadvantages of eating almonds in summer:
- Almonds are nutritious, but they are full of energy. Eating them in large quantities can lead to an increase in calorie intake, which is a concern for those trying to lose weight or manage their calorie intake.
- Nuts, including almonds, can go rancid at high temperatures. It is important to store them properly in a cool and dry place in summers to retain their freshness and prevent spoilage.
Consuming almonds in summer is beneficial due to their nutritional, satiating properties and hydration potential. However, due to their caloric density, it is important to be mindful of portion size and ensure proper storage to prevent rancidity.
Including almonds in a balanced diet is a healthy option, but moderation and proper storage are key.
How to eat almonds in summer?
There are many different ways to eat almonds in summer. You can eat them raw, roast them, or use them in cooking and baking. Here are some tips on how to eat almonds in summer:
- Add almonds to your oatmeal or yogurt for a healthy snack.
- Consume almonds as a snack throughout the day to keep your energy levels up.
- Add almonds to your salad or sandwich for a boost of protein and fiber.
- Use almonds in baking and cooking to add nutty flavor and texture.
- Make almond milk, which is called milkshake.
- Use almonds in kheer, halwa etc.
Why should we avoid eating raw almonds in summer ?
The most common and delicious nut which has proved to do wonders for our health. Almonds are among the most nutritious of all power-packed nuts. They contain protein, fiber, vitamin E, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, calcium, magnesium, and zinc.
According to experts, almonds should be eaten daily for healthy brain function and overall health. But many people eat it raw because according to them, by eating almonds raw, they get the most benefit from the peel of almonds.
However, the general idea is that raw almonds should not be eaten, especially in summers. You must be wondering why we should avoid eating raw almonds, so let’s look at some of the reasons.
It is believed that almonds generate heat in the body and hinder your digestion process. Soaking almonds in water must be eaten. According to experts, almonds should be eaten soaked.
Since most of the nutrients are more easily absorbed by the body. Soaking is a good idea in the summer because it generates heat in the body. Especially people with pitta dosha should soak almonds as it creates imbalance in the body.
This leads to boils, piles and other conditions. Eat them with the peel removed, as the flavonoids in the peel work synergistically with vitamin E to double their antioxidant power.