During pregnancy, it is especially important to keep in mind what you should and should not eat. Although dry fruits are often recommended in the diet at this time, women worry that eating peanuts could lead to an allergic reaction to the unborn baby. So can you not eat peanuts when you are pregnant? Although this is not true, read this complete article to know the benefits of eating peanuts during pregnancy and what precautions you should take while eating them.
Is it safe to eat peanuts during pregnancy?
Many pregnant women often avoid peanuts for fear of allergies. More than a quarter of pregnant women have experienced an allergy to it – some women develop allergies during pregnancy and some may have a family history of allergies. Unless you are allergic to peanuts, it is not proven that eating peanuts (or other foods, such as granola bars, cereals, etc.) during pregnancy can cause allergies in you or your unborn baby. So if you are not allergic to peanuts then you can eat it during pregnancy.
What are the benefits of eating peanuts during pregnancy?
It is often said that it is good to eat peanuts during pregnancy. This snack is popular because it is rich in natural fat. According to research, the nutritional value of peanuts shows that it is as healthy as other nuts.
Peanuts are rich in protein just like walnuts. It contains vitamins (B1, B4, B5, B6, C, E) and a variety of minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, iron and potassium, which make it a healthy snack. The properties of calories present in peanuts provide energy to the body.
If you eat peanuts when you are pregnant then it is good for you as it contains protein and folate which are essential in your diet during pregnancy. Consuming folic acid and folate-rich foods during pregnancy may lower the risk of birth defects and spinal cord injury. The protein present in it is essential for the mother and it also helps in the development of the unborn child.
Here are some of the benefits of eating peanuts during pregnancy, let’s find out;
1. Peanuts have antioxidant properties
Peanuts are rich in natural fats and vitamins, especially vitamins B and E. It also contains antioxidants which protect the body from flu and other problems.
2. Helps heal skin problems
The natural oils present in peanuts heal skin related problems and naturally help in reducing inflammation and itching in the skin.
3. Bones develop by eating peanuts
It is important to include manganese in the diet during pregnancy for bone health. The bone health of the child also improves with the help of manganese present in peanuts.
4. Helps in better digestion
The fiber present in peanuts helps in curing the problem of constipation. If a pregnant woman includes some peanuts in her daily diet, she will not have problems related to ejaculation.
5. Cures anemia
During pregnancy, your body needs more blood for the growth of the baby. If you do not eat enough iron-rich foods, your body may lose blood and this may lead to anemia. To eliminate this problem, pregnant women should take sufficient amount of iron and peanuts are rich in iron. Even if you have anemia problem, you can eat peanuts to reduce it.
Symptoms of peanut allergy during pregnancy
Many women may be allergic to peanuts during pregnancy. Here are some symptoms of peanut allergy, let us know;
- You may have diarrhea or vomiting if you are allergic to peanuts.
- Cough is also there.
- Its symptoms also include sore throat and shortness of breath.
- It causes itching in the throat and tongue.
- It can also cause itching or rashes on the skin.
- Swelling of the lips and throat can occur if you are allergic to peanuts.
- There may also be a problem of nasal congestion or runny nose.
- Its symptoms can also include swelling, redness and itching in the eyes.
- Anaphylaxis: This is a serious symptom that can result in a drop in your pulse rate. Since it can be life-threatening, contact a doctor immediately if you have this problem.
Side Effects of Eating Peanuts During Pregnancy
Eating peanuts during pregnancy can sometimes cause side effects. If you have any health related problems then eating peanuts is more likely to cause side effects due to which you may become intolerant to peanuts.
Some of the side effects of eating peanuts during pregnancy are as follows, let us find out;
1. Risks of Eating Peanuts During Pregnancy
Keep in mind that you should not eat old and stale peanuts during pregnancy. You can also get food poisoning by eating old, stale and stored peanuts.
2. Peanuts being toxic can also be a problem
If groundnut is stored in a hot and humid place, it can cause fungus to grow in the groundnut and it can become toxic.
3. It can cause stomach problems
If you have gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining) during pregnancy, then eating peanuts can increase your stomach problems.
4. Eating peanuts can lead to weight gain
Peanuts contain a lot of fat, which can increase your weight. If your weight is already too much then you should not eat peanuts at this time.
Ways To Eat Peanuts During Pregnancy
Several studies prove that eating peanuts during pregnancy reduces the risk of allergies in the baby. So if you have never had a peanut allergy before, you can eat it even when you are pregnant. Here are some ways to eat peanuts during pregnancy, let us know;
- Eating peanuts after frying them in a little oil keeps allergies away.
- You boil the peanuts in a mixture of water and salt. If there is a lot of gap between your day and dinner, then you can eat boiled peanuts in between.
- If a pregnant woman has a craving to eat peanuts, then there is no harm in eating it, but the salt present in it stops the water in the body and it can also lead to high blood pressure.
- You can eat peanuts by adding a little to your salad or you can have it in the form of dips and make chutney.
In such a situation, a common question is often asked, is it safe to eat peanut butter during pregnancy? The answer is ‘yes’. If there is sufficient amount of peanut in any food item, then it can be eaten in moderate quantity, but keep in mind that you have never been allergic to peanut before. If you have a craving to eat peanut butter, you can sometimes eat it by putting it in a sandwich.
A pregnant woman is always advised to eat a balanced diet, such as – fruits, vegetables, rice, wheat, milk, nuts, pulses and so on. Eating peanuts can also provide you with essential nutrients that are found in nuts. If you want to eat peanuts during pregnancy, then first discuss with the dietician and ask how much peanuts you should eat according to your weight in this stage, whether you can eat peanuts during this time or not and whether it is beneficial for your overall health.