You must have heard that lemon water is the best drink for weight loss and good health. Is lemon water good for weight loss? Experts say that lemon is an excellent digestive cleanser and it plays an important role in fat loss.
Lemon is scientifically known as Citrus limon. Lemon is a fruit native to the northern regions of India. It is produced extensively in the United States, China, Argentina, Spain, Italy and Brazil.
Lemon fruits have been commonly used in Indian traditional medicine for their valuable nutritional and medicinal properties. As the name suggests, lemon water is hot or cold water mixed with lemon juice or lemon slices.
Lemon is commonly called lemon in English, le citron in French, zitron in German, ningmeng in Chinese, and limon in Spanish. You can consume it anytime till noon.
However, the taste of lemon is quite sour. It is a yellow and oval fruit, which grows on evergreen trees. The juice coming out from inside a lemon is the most valuable. However, some people also use lemon peels in a better way.
Consumption of lemon is most seen in the summer season, because lemon has cooling properties to the body. Lemon juice acts as a hydrating drink after you get tired in the scorching sun.
The true origin of the lemon is unknown, although some believe it originated in northwestern India. Lemons are mostly grown in tropical and temperate climates.
Benefits of drinking lemon water
Lemon has been used for centuries to treat various diseases. Similarly, there are many benefits of drinking lemon water, which are as follows-
1. Helpful in reducing weight
Lemon water is a refreshing antioxidant drink. Which is an important source of citric acid. Citric acid being an important fat burner helps in weight loss. Drinking warm lemon water is an effective way to reduce body weight .
Drinking lemon water in the morning helps in natural weight loss. Apart from this, it also balances the body temperature, thus improving metabolism.
2. Good for digestive system
Lemon aids in the digestion process. Lemon water stimulates the digestive system to produce digestive juices, bile and acids, which help break down larger food molecules.
It also increases the series of wave-like muscle contractions in the intestine which helps in improving digestion. However, more research is needed to know the more benefits of lemon water for the digestive system.
3. Useful for skin
Lemon water has essential antioxidant and antibiotic properties. Lemon water helps in rejuvenating the skin by keeping it glowing, free from infection and odor.
Lemon slices or juice are rubbed on the skin or applied to rashes and scratches to remove dead cells. Lemon products also have positive effects on acne-prone skin damaged by sunburn.
The antioxidant properties of lemon water are also used in a variety of cosmetic products. It helps in managing oxidative stress. Due to which the skin becomes smoother and more firm.
4. Helpful in urinary problems
Lemon water contains important nutrients like vitamin C, potassium and flavonoids. These nutrients help in detoxification, which eliminates toxins from the body.
The disinfectant properties of lemon water help in removing infections from the urinary tract and also helps in preventing calcium deposits in the urinary tract. However, you should always consult a qualified doctor before taking any Ayurvedic supplement.
5. Other uses of lemon water
- Lemon water helps heal wounds and ulcers of the digestive and excretory systems due to its Vitamin C. It also helps prevent diseases like piles.
- Lemon water contains Vitamin C. Which removes the problem of bleeding gums related to scurvy.
- Additionally, its antioxidant mechanism fights free radicals and helps in eye care.
- Lemon water is also very helpful in removing the problem of nausea.
- Lemon water helps in cholera, fatigue and high fever.
- Sipping lemon water provides relief from cough, cold and sore throat.
Does lemon water help in weight loss?
Yes, lemon water helps in fat loss. Which is an excellent drink for weight loss. A glass of fresh lemon water contains only six calories. It increases your body’s metabolic rate by inducing thermogenesis.
It also increases satiety (fullness) by preventing unwanted calorie intake. Pairing it with a balanced diet and regular exercise will definitely aid your weight loss.
How does lemon water help in weight loss?
Drinking lemon water regularly can help in weight loss in many ways.
1. Lemon water is low in calories
Lemon water has much less calories than juice and soda. A glass of water and the juice of half a medium lemon contain about 8 calories, while a glass of orange juice contains about 113 calories, and a can of soda contains about 160 calories.
In this way, drinking lemon water instead of juice or soda will reduce your calorie intake. Which helps you in losing weight. If you drink a glass of lemon water every day for a year, you can completely balance your weight.
2. Lemon water fills the stomach
Drinking a glass of lemon water with your meal will help you feel full. Therefore you consume less calories. Studies have shown that drinking lemon water with meals helps reduce appetite and fill you up quickly.
3. Increases metabolism
Both the lemon and water components of lemon water increase your metabolism. When you drink cold water, your body spends even more energy to heat it, so drinking a glass of lemon water regularly throughout the day increases your metabolism, which leads to weight loss.
Lemon water helps you stay hydrated throughout the day. Increasing lipolysis (fat breakdown) helps in reducing weight. Staying hydrated increases mitochondrial activity in fat cells, which causes lipolysis.
Lemon extract helps in weight loss by preventing weight gain and fat accumulation. Hesperidin (a flavonoid found in lemon) has beneficial effects on lipid metabolism by reducing the production of bad cholesterol and serum triglycerides.
Triglycerides are essentially extra calories that you consume. When they are present in large quantities, they get stored in fat cells. Reducing triglycerides helps with both weight loss and good health.
4. A powerful antioxidant
Lemon water is a storehouse of powerful antioxidants and nutrients and helps a lot in weight loss. Drinking warm lemon water first thing in the morning helps speed up metabolism by inducing thermogenesis.
Thermogenesis is a process where the body burns more calories to produce heat. Additionally, you will also experience better bowel movements, which helps flush out toxins from the body faster.
It also reduces swelling. Also, it increases your physical performance during workout. It prevents bloating and weight gain which usually occurs due to water retention.
Relationship between lemon water and weight loss
Some of the relationships between drinking lemon water and weight loss are as follows-
- Drinking lemon water in the morning helps activate the detoxifying process. It clears the body of toxins and some internal wastes.
- Once the toxins are flushed out, it speeds up our sluggish metabolism. Due to which the ability to burn more calories increases.
- It has diuretic and laxative effects, thereby smoothing the intestines and cleaning the colon. Waste products that remain in the colon for a long time also increase weight and result in inflammation. Removing long-term waste helps lose some weight at the same time.
- Lemon water helps in cleaning the liver. Some components of lemon stimulate the liver to produce more bile. Bile is a chemical that helps in the digestion of fat. This process helps to metabolize fat faster.
- Drinking lemon water with meals also stimulates the production of gastric juices which enhances digestion.
- Lemon is rich in Vitamin C. Vitamin C is inversely related to our body mass. Vitamin C stimulates chemical reactions that break down fat in the body. Then it uses it as energy.
- It creates an alkaline environment in the stomach which is conducive to weight loss and helps in losing weight faster.
- It contains a fiber called pectin (especially from lemon peel). Pectin is known to reduce hunger cravings and provide satiety effect, thus controlling overeating.
This simple and small fruit is a perfect example of how it packs a ton of nutrients. Start your day with a glass of lemon water every day. Consume this drink for a long time and soon see positive effects on your body.
How to make lemon water for weight loss
Lemonade is one of the quickest drinks that can be made instantly at home. Generally lemon produces sour taste. But the combination of sugar and lemon gives it a good taste. Lemon water is a pleasant drink to quench your thirst during the summer season.
Apart from being easy to make, it is also a healthy water in summer. Drinking this gives a feeling of freshness and peace. Lemon contains Vitamin C , which is more helpful for the human body.
Lemon water tastes better than anything else. If the right amount of sugar, lemon and water is taken then the exact taste with delicious taste can be achieved.
Apart from calcium and potassium, it also contains some iron and vitamin A. Lemon also adds a good essence to your diet. The most nutritious and enjoyable juice which gives more benefits in terms of vitamins, weight loss, digestive problems, prevention of kidney stones.
The cheapest juice can be made where you do not need any kind of juicer. Lemon has many hidden powers. Medicine is also made with the help of lemon peel. It also increases the immunity of our body.
Ingredients required to make lemonade
- Water- 1 cup
- Fresh Lemon- 1
- Sugar- 2 tbsp
- Ice cubes- 3-4
- Salt – a pinch
Process of making lemon water-
- First of all, take a lemon and cut it into two equal parts.
- With the help of a squeezer, squeeze the lemon juice from each half into a glass.
- Now add sugar, salt and water.
- Stir well until the sugar and salt dissolve.
- Now lemon water is ready to drink. You can drink it cold by adding ice cubes to it.
Drinking lemon juice mixed with warm water and honey in the morning reduces weight and makes your skin glow naturally.
When should one drink lemon water?
Drinking lemon water first thing in the morning has been a popular trend for years. It is very effective in rejuvenating your skin, increasing metabolism, fighting viruses.
When you first wake up in the morning, have a glass of room temperature water. When we drink very hot or cold water, your body requires more energy to process it, so it is better to wake your body up slowly with warm water.
Squeeze the juice of one lemon into your water (if your weight is less than 75 kg then use half a lemon, if your weight is more than 75 kg then use a whole lemon).
Apart from this, if you drink the drink mentioned by us in the morning, you will get good results. In this way, you can reduce a lot of your body weight by drinking lemon water.
So friends, this was how to lose weight with lemon water, if you start drinking lemon water regularly then your weight loss will definitely start, but you will get the benefit only if you use it in the manner suggested by us.
If you found our post helpful then please share it so that more and more people can know the benefits of lemon water. Apart from this, if you have any other ways to use lemon water then please share them with us in the comments.