Let us know about How to eat sprouts during pregnancy. Every pregnant woman wants that her baby is born healthy. Therefore it is advised to include plenty of nutrients in the diet. Sprouted grains are rich in nutrients, but there is a lot of confusion regarding whether they should be consumed during pregnancy or not. If you are also struggling with similar questions, then there is no need to worry, we have come up with detailed information related to the consumption of sprouts during pregnancy.
Let us first know how safe it is to eat sprouts during pregnancy.
Is It Safe To Eat Sprouts During Pregnancy?
There are mixed reactions on the health of eating sprouts during pregnancy. On the one hand, the food guideline issued by WHO for pregnant and lactating women talks about the consumption of bean sprouts ie sprouted grains. On the other hand, according to an article published in the Food and Drug Administration website, sprouted grains contain harmful bacteria, which can have a negative effect on the health of pregnant women.
In fact, bacteria can enter the grain through cracks before it germinates. If this happens, it is difficult to remove the bacteria from the sprouts even after washing them. This is the reason why consumption of sprouts like alfalfa, radish, clover, mung beans etc. can be risky for pregnant women.
In this part of the article, information is being given about the nutrients in sprouted grains.
Nutritional Value Of Sprouts
Here we know which nutrients are present in 100 grams of sprouted grains in what quantity.
- Per 100 grams of sprouts, there is 92.82 grams of water, 23 kcal of energy, 3.99 grams of protein, 2.1 grams of carbohydrates and 1.9 grams of fiber.
- 0.2 grams of sugar is found in 100 grams of sprouted grains.
- 100 grams of sprouted grains contain 32 milligrams of calcium, 0.96 milligrams of iron, 27 milligrams of magnesium, 70 milligrams of phosphorus, and 79 milligrams of potassium.
- Whereas sprouts contain 6 mg sodium, 0.92 mg zinc, 0.157 mg copper and 0.6 microgram selenium.
- Talking about vitamins, 100 grams of papaya contains 8.2 milligrams of vitamin-C, 0.034 milligrams of vitamin B-6, 8 micrograms of vitamin-A and 30.5 micrograms of vitamin-K.
Effects Of Eating Sprouts During Pregnancy
There are many adverse effects of eating sprouted grains during pregnancy. In such a situation, women are advised to keep distance from sprouted grains. If you still feel like eating, then boiled sprouted grains can be preferred ( 2 ). Let us know about the effects of eating raw sprouts during pregnancy:
- Alfalfa sprouts, clover, mung beans and radishes are not recommended during pregnancy because of E-coli bacteria. This can cause complications in pregnancy. Due to this, pregnant women are more likely to get sick.
- Salmonella and E-coli bacteria are found in raw sprouts like beans, radish, cloves, due to which symptoms like diarrhea , weakness, vomiting, fever, muscle and abdominal pain can be seen.
- In some cases, consumption of raw sprouts can cause problems for pregnant women as well as the unborn baby. Listeriosis bacteria can cause premature labor , fetal death, or spread the infection to the newborn ( 5Trusted Source ).
- Bacteria grow rapidly in sprouted grains. This can increase the risk of food poisoning to pregnant women.
- We will know further in the article what things should be kept in mind while eating sprouts during pregnancy.
Precautions To Be Taken While Eating Sprouts During Pregnancy
There are a few things to keep in mind while consuming sprouts during pregnancy, some of which are as follows:
- Wash sprouted grains thoroughly in clean water before eating or cooking. Washing increases the chance of reducing bacteria. However, this may not completely remove the bacteria ( 7 ).
- Eating raw or lightly cooked sprouts can cause food poisoning ( 6 ). In such a situation, it would be better if pregnant women boil and eat sprouts.
- Cook the sprouts well. Cooking increases the chances of killing harmful bacteria and may reduce the risk of illness.
- If the immune system is weak during pregnancy, then eating sprouts should be avoided, as the chances of getting foodborne diseases increase during this time
Tips For Buying And Storing Sprouts During Pregnancy
Pregnant women can avoid eating sprouts, but if you are planning to buy sprouts from the market, then take special care of these things.
- Always choose fresh sprouts instead of frozen ones.
- Do not buy sprouts that are withered or have a foul smell.
- Do not buy glutinous sprouts.
- After buying sprouts, if you are not cooking them, store them in the fridge.
- To store sprouts, take care of the cleanliness of the refrigerator.
- Store sprouted grains at home at a temperature of 48 degrees Fahrenheit.
Come, let us know about the method of preparing sprouts during pregnancy.
How To Cook Sprouts During Pregnancy?
Sprouts during pregnancy can be cooked in the following ways:
- Boil the sprouts well.
- Light frying is likely to cause bacteria. Hence, always fry the sprouts on high flame.
Know ahead some recipes of sprouted grains.
Sprouts Recipes During Pregnancy
Below in the article, we are giving some easy recipes of sprouted grains during pregnancy. Keep in mind never eat raw sprouts. Always make boiled sprouted grains a part of the diet.
- a bowl of boiled sprouts
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- finely chopped vegetables
- Lemon juice
- coriander leaves, finely chopped
- pinch of salt
- In a large bowl, add boiled sprouts and vegetables.
- Add chopped onion, chopped tomato, chopped coriander and a pinch of salt to it.
- You can add lemon juice if you want.
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Sprouts salad is ready
- ½ cup poha
- ½ cup sprouts
- a spoonful of oil
- a teaspoon mustard
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 small chopped onion
- one chopped green chili
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- finely chopped coriander leaves
- Wash the poha, filter it with a sieve and keep it for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds start crackling, add onions and green chilies and fry till they turn brown.
- Add turmeric powder and salt to it and cook for 1 minute.
- Now add sprouts and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add one-fourth cup of water to it and cook for 1 minute.
- After this mix poha and lemon juice and stir. Cook it for one minute.
- Now garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
It would be better for pregnant women not to eat sprouted grains during pregnancy. If still she is having a lot of craving to eat sprouts, then she can consume boiled sprouts in some quantity. Keep in mind that sprouted grains should be well cooked. Do not eat raw or half cooked sprouts at all. Also check your health after eating boiled sprouts. If you experience any kind of symptoms, then immediately talk to the doctor about it.