Pregnant women are advised to pay special attention to their diet during pregnancy. Eating fresh, nutritious food during pregnancy will keep both you and your baby healthy, and it is also important for your baby’s development. Therefore, include such foods in your diet that contain vitamins, minerals, proteins, and fiber. Horse gram is one such food that you can make a part of your pregnancy diet, let us know the benefits and risks associated with consuming horse gram during pregnancy.
Black gram has many health benefits, but it is also known to generate a lot of heat in the body. Foods that generate heat in the body should be avoided during pregnancy, but if you consume them in limited quantities then it does not cause any problem. If you want to consume horse gram during pregnancy because of its nutritional value, then you should balance it with foods that are naturally cooling.
Can pregnant women have horse gram?
Due to its health benefits, many pregnant women may choose to consume horse gram. If pregnant women consume horse gram in limited quantity then it is absolutely safe. Excessive consumption of anything during pregnancy can pose a risk to you. Hence, it is always better to be safe. If you want to include horse gram in your diet, then include it in limited quantity. It would be better to ask your doctor first.
Nutritional Value of Horse gram
Kulthi dal is a type of beans, which is mostly used in South Indian dishes. This gives you many health benefits. Black gram is a good source of iron. Apart from this, protein and fiber are also present in horse gram. Black gram is believed to have astringent and diuretic properties.
Health Benefits of Consuming Horse Gram
There are some health benefits of horse gram during pregnant. Some are as follows:
- Due to the high amount of iron in it, it helps in increasing the blood count during pregnancy.
- By consuming horse gram, it helps to overcome many problems, such as: conjunctivitis, worm removal, piles and arthritis etc.
- Horse gram helps to keep your body warm during the winter season.
- Horse gram strengthens your immunity and consuming horse gram during pregnancy helps prevent fever.
- Horse gram has phenol content, which helps you maintain a healthy weight during pregnancy.
- Fiber is found in black gram, which helps in controlling the cholesterol level during pregnancy.
- Black gram is known to cure peptic ulcers and kidney stones.
- Horse gram is very beneficial in dealing with problems like flatulence and indigestion during pregnant.
What are the risks of consuming horse gram during pregnancy?
Although consuming horse gram produces excessive heat in the body, which can increase the discomfort of a pregnant woman, no study clearly shows that consuming it during pregnancy is harmful for you. Yes or No. But, it is best to consume it in limited quantity as well. You can safely include horse gram in your pregnancy diet but in moderation.
How to include your diet
There are many ways you can include horse gram in your pregnancy diet. Here are some easy ways to consume horse gram during pregnancy:
- Black gram can be used to prepare healthy soups and curries.
- You can make a delicious dish using horse gram lentils with mustard seeds, coriander leaves, radish leaves, and spinach.
- You can make kulthi dal with gravy to make it tastier and eat it with roti or rice.
- You can also make a nutritious rasam with kulthi dal.
- In some regions of India, lentil powder is used to make laddoos.
Consuming horse gram in moderation during pregnancy does not pose any risk to your health. If you feel any discomfort by consuming it, then keep in mind and keep in mind that do not consume kulthi dal in excess. In any case, it is always prudent to consult your doctor before consuming anything during pregnancy.