Home remedies for loose motion in pregnancy: Let us know about Home remedies for loose motion in pregnancy. Pregnancy is a time where the mother is going through both physical and mental changes. During this, a pregnant woman needs special care, so that she does not get any kind of infection. In these 9 months, the digestive system of a pregnant woman is affected the most. Due to this, some complain of constipation, while some may get diarrhea. This can have adverse effects on the health of the foetus. We will talk about diarrhea during pregnancy. Also learn how it can be prevented.
Is It Normal To Have Diarrhea During Pregnancy?
Yes, diarrhea is common during pregnancy. For example, normal people may complain of diarrhea due to food habits, change of weather and change of place. Similarly, about one-third of pregnant women may have diarrhea due to all these reasons as well as hormonal changes
Come, now let us know which is the period of pregnancy when there is a high possibility of this problem.
Which Trimester Of Pregnancy Is The Most Likely To Cause Diarrhoea?
This can happen mostly in the first and second trimester. This may be due to hormonal changes and food habits in the first trimester. At the same time, there is less possibility of diarrhea in the second trimester, but if there is headache and fever, then a doctor should be checked immediately. On the other hand, if diarrhea occurs in the third trimester, you should go to the doctor without delay, as it can be a symptom of pre-mature delivery.
Next, we are explaining in detail about the causes of diarrhea in pregnancy.
Causes Of Diarrhea In Pregnancy
There can be many reasons for diarrhea in pregnancy, such as:
- Contaminated food and drink: Consumption of contaminated food and water during travel or kept open for a long time can cause many digestive diseases as well as diarrhea.
- Hyperthyroidism: High levels of thyroid hormone is called hyperthyroidism. In case of hyperthyroidism during pregnancy, the digestive system is affected and diarrhea can start.
- Prostaglandins: Prostaglandins can also cause diarrhea. The group of lipids are called prostaglandins. It can stimulate the muscles of the uterus, which can cause diarrhea.
- Iron overload: Iron-rich foods are consumed to prevent anemia in pregnancy. If you consume iron in excess, it can cause gastrointestinal problems such as constipation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
There are also some common causes of diarrhea, which are as follows;
- Diarrhea can be caused by bacteria and viruses.
- Food poisoning can cause a number of digestive problems, including diarrhea.
- Diarrhea can also be caused by celiac disease (an inflammatory bowel disease) and Crohn’s disease (inflammatory bowel disease)
After knowing the causes of diarrhoea, now let us also look at the symptoms of diarrhea seen in pregnancy.
Symptoms Of Diarrhea In Pregnancy
The symptoms of diarrhea that are seen in normal people, almost the same symptoms can also occur during pregnancy. Some of these special symptoms are as follows;
- Using the bathroom frequently.
- Abdominal cramps.
- Inability to hold stool for a long time and loss of control over it.
- Nausea, restlessness and feeling like vomiting.
- Abdominal pain can also be one of its symptoms. Keep in mind that there can be many other reasons for abdominal pain during pregnancy.
You have come to know the symptoms of diarrhoea, now let us talk about its treatment.
Loose Motion Treatment In Pregnancy
The problem of diarrhea during pregnancy can be cured by treatment, such as:
- Antibiotics: Antibiotics are effective in getting rid of problems like Crohn’s (intestinal inflammation). You can overcome the problem of diarrhea by using antibiotics in pregnancy. Keep in mind that doctor’s advice is necessary before taking any medicine during pregnancy.
- ORS and electrolytes: Diarrhea can lead to dehydration. In this case, you can take ORS and electrolyte supplements every two hours to deal with dehydration and diarrhea.
- Moderation: Diarrhea usually gets better within a day or two. If there is no relief even after this, then a doctor’s checkup should be done immediately.
After treatment, here we are telling you some home remedies to overcome the problem of diarrhea.
5 Home remedies for loose motion in pregnancy
If you have diarrhea during pregnancy, you can deal with this problem by using some ingredients available at home.
- Keep drinking water: Water helps in hydrating the body. This completes the lack of water in the body during diarrhea.
- Drink lemon water: If you consume lemon and a pinch of salt in a glass of water during diarrhea, then you can benefit. Lemon water not only removes the problem of indigestion, but also improves the digestive system.
- Consumption of fiber rich fruits: You can consume fruits like guava. Dietary fiber is found in guava , which can be helpful in relieving many problems related to the stomach like diarrhea, dysentery, abdominal pain and indigestion.
- Eat Banana: It is advisable to eat banana in diarrhea. It is rich in potassium, which helps to restore the potassium lost in the body due to diarrhea. According to a research, eating bananas during pregnancy is considered safe and 95.4 percent of women prefer to eat bananas.
- Eat curd: Foods containing probiotics can also be eaten to cure pregnancy diarrhoea. In this case, you can consume curd. It is considered a good probiotic.
Next, we are telling what you can do to avoid diarrhea.
Remedies For Diarrhea In Pregnancy
You can avoid problems like diarrhea by following these simple measures. As:
- Pay attention to food and drink: By consuming clean and nutritious food, you can overcome the problem of diarrhea.
- Avoid visiting contaminated places: Visiting contaminated places can also lead to infection and diarrhea can start.
- Boil water and drink: Many types of bacteria present in water can also be the cause of diarrhea. By boiling water, the bacteria present in it are destroyed and the risk of many types of diseases is removed.
- Dairy products: Avoid milk and milk products, except yogurt, until the diarrhea resolves. Consume curd in limited quantity only.
- Avoid spicy foods: Avoid eating too much greasy, oily and spicy food.
- Some types of vegetables: Do not eat some types of vegetables like broccoli, capsicum, peas, beans, gram, corn and more leafy vegetables in diarrhea.
- Do not take iron containing pills for a few days.
In this part of the article, we are talking about taking medicine during diarrhea.
Can I Take Diarrhea Medicine During Pregnancy?
Taking antibiotics during diarrhea can provide quick relief from problems such as inflammation of the intestines. Along with this, the problem of diarrhea also goes away, but before taking any kind of medicine, do ask the doctor
Now we are telling in which condition one should go to the doctor immediately.
When To See A Doctor For Diarrhea During Pregnancy?
After diarrhea during pregnancy, a doctor should be checked immediately under these circumstances:
- If more yellow urine starts coming.
- you feel more thirsty
- If you are drinking more water and still there is a decrease in urine.
- Making you high fever and headache.
- Get dizzy again and again and feel weak.
- You find your mouth dry and sticky.
- Passing blood (spotting) and mucus during a bowel movement.
Apart from this, the condition of diarrhea becomes more serious when:
- Fetal movements began to decline.
- There is a feeling of repeated contractions in the stomach.
- Means sticky discharge like blood or mucus started.
- Abdominal cramps, pain or pressure.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Diarrhea in Pregnancy Harm the Baby?
There is not much effect on the fetus if treatment is given at the right time during pregnancy. Nevertheless, if there is a lapse in treatment or any negligence, the child to be born may have low birth weight, premature birth and even death
Is diarrhea during pregnancy a sign of miscarriage?
No, diarrhea during pregnancy is not a sign of miscarriage, as sometimes infections and hormonal changes can also cause diarrhea. Therefore, diarrhea is common in pregnancy
Is it normal to experience green diarrhea during pregnancy?
Yes, it is normal to have green stools during pregnancy. This can happen for three reasons. First of all, the consumption of those foods, which contain chlorophyll. Consuming these green foods can also turn the stool green. such as spinach and broccoli. Another reason is a green or yellow colored chemical stored in our gall bladder, which helps in digestion. At the same time, the third reason is infection like Salmonella (typhoid fever), which can have serious consequences and this happens in severe form of diarrhea
What is traveler’s diarrhea?
The problem of diarrhea caused by bad food and bacteria during travel is called traveler’s diarrhea. This problem can happen to about 30 to 70 percent of the passengers traveling.