Let us know about Gram during pregnancy. Along with mood changes in pregnancy, the eating habits also change. Sometimes I feel like eating pungent, sometimes sweet, sometimes sour and sometimes spicy. In such a situation, the dilemma remains as to what to eat which is nutritious as well as enjoyable to eat. If you are also in such confusion, then we will try to clear it through this article. To maintain the taste and nutrition during pregnancy, you can add chickpeas to your diet. We will not only give you information about whether you should eat chickpeas during pregnancy or not, but also tell you the benefits of eating chickpeas during pregnancy.
First of all, in this part of the article, let us know whether gram should be eaten during pregnancy or not.
Can Pregnant Women Eat Gram?
Yes, iron rich foods are very beneficial during pregnancy. In such a situation, pregnant women can consume iron-rich gram as a nutritious diet (1) (2) (3) . Not only iron, but many other nutrients like protein, calcium, folate are also present in it (4) . However, it should be consumed in limited quantity so that it does not have any adverse effect on pregnant women.
In the next part of the article, know what nutrients are present in gram, which make it beneficial.
Here we are telling about the nutritional elements present in gram through the table
|NUTRIENTS||PER 100 GRAMS|
|Total lipid (fat)||2.59 grams|
|Fiber, Total Dietary||7.6 grams|
|vitamin C||1.3 mg|
|Vitamin B-6||0.139 mg|
|Folate, DFE||172 µg|
|vitamin b12||0.00 µg|
|Vitamin A, RAE||1 µg|
|Vitamin A, IU||27IU|
|Vitamin E||0.35 mg|
|Vitamin D (D2 + D3)||0.0 µg|
|vitamin D||0 IU|
|Vitamin K||4.0 µg|
|Fatty Acids, Total Saturated||0.269 grams|
|Fatty Acids, Total Monounsaturated||0.583 grams|
|Fatty Acids, Total Polyunsaturated||1.156 grams|
|Fatty Acids, Total Trans||0.000 grams|
In the next part of the article, we will know the benefits of eating gram during pregnancy.
Health Benefits Of Chana In Pregnancy
Above you have learned that gram is full of nutritious elements. Now it is time to know what benefits you can get from these nutritious elements. So know below about the benefits of gram.
- Prevents Birth Defects in the Baby – As almost everyone knows, folate is an essential nutrient for pregnancy. It helps with the development of the baby and may help prevent infant birth defects such as neural tube defects. Chickpeas have been considered a natural source of folate, so it should be included in the diet (5) .
- Prevention of gestational diabetes – Many women are at risk of developing diabetes during pregnancy. In such a situation, to control blood sugar level during pregnancy and prevent gestational diabetes, you can include more fiber in the diet ( 6 ) . For this, you can consume chickpeas, because it contains sufficient amount of fiber (7) .
- Prevention of Asthma – If a pregnant woman wants to protect herself and her unborn child from diseases like asthma, she can start consuming fiber-rich foods (8) . Consuming chickpeas can prevent respiratory diseases like asthma, because it contains sufficient amount of fiber (4) .
- Prevention of Constipation – The problem of constipation is also very common during pregnancy. In such a situation, consuming more fiber can provide relief from the problem of constipation. For this, you can include chickpeas in your diet, but keep in mind that you consume it in a balanced quantity ( 9 ) .
- Prevention of anemia – Iron is essential for pregnant women. Iron deficiency can cause many problems such as weakness, headache and weight loss. Apart from all these, the biggest danger is the possibility of anemia ie anemia (10) . You can consume chickpeas to prevent anemia in pregnancy, as it contains iron, which can be beneficial in pregnancy (11) (4) .
- Source of Protein : During pregnancy, protein is very essential for the proper development of the unborn child. For this, you can include gram in the diet.
Know further about the damage caused by excessive consumption of gram.
Side Effects Of Chickpea
Every material has both advantages and disadvantages. If too much of a good thing is consumed, it can be harmful. Similarly, if gram is consumed excessively, it can cause harm. Know below the estimated side effects of gram –
- Stomach problem – As we told you above that fiber is present in gram, which can give relief from the problem of constipation during pregnancy. If fiber is consumed in excess, it can cause gas, flatulence or abdominal pain (12) .
- Allergies – If you have a problem with legumes, then talk to your doctor once before consuming gram. Due to this you may have allergy problem.
Now in the next part of the article, we will tell you some tips to easily include it in the diet.
Ways To Include Chickpeas In Diet During Pregnancy
- You can eat chickpea curry by adding mild spices.
- You can make chaat by mixing finely chopped cucumber, onion, tomato and green chillies in boiled chickpeas.
- If you want, you can eat gram by boiling it and then roasting it with light spices.