Flutter kicks is one of the best abs exercises , which is not difficult to start, but after 20 seconds, you start feeling stretch and pain in the abs. Flutter kicks are a must-have abs exercise for those who want to build a six pack or want to keep their core strong. Today in this article, you will learn about the steps, variations, benefits, calorie burn and disadvantages of flutter kicks –
How to do flutter kicks?
Flutter kicks exercise should be started with its classic variation. While doing this, the legs are raised up to 45 degree angle by keeping them straight. Come, let us know in detail how the traditional flutter kicks are done-
- First of all, lie down on the back by laying a yoga mat on a flat place.
- Now keep both the hands under the hips.
- Then lift the right leg upwards from the ground and keep the lower back on the ground. After this, the left leg has to be raised a few inches above the ground.
- Now flutter kicks have to be done by continuously changing the position of the feet.
- The head can also be raised slightly above the ground for more of a challenge.
- In the beginning it has to be done till the count of 10-12. Once you get practice you can increase the count.
types of flutter kicks
It is believed that if a person weighing 70 kg does flutter kicks exercise for 15 minutes, he burns 40 calories. Here we are giving many variations of flutter kicks, by doing which the back muscles are strengthened. By changing this exercise slightly, its difficulty can be reduced or increased. Let us know in detail about the variation of flutter kicks –
criss cross flutter kick
The way to do this is explained below-
- Lie down on your back.
- Both the hands should be below the hips.
- Keeping the back on the ground, both the legs have to be raised upwards.
- Both the legs have to be taken in the position of criss cross. Both the legs should move in such a way that the scissor moves.
- The head can also be raised off the ground for more of a challenge.
- The wider the legs are spread at the time of each cross, the more the effect will be felt in the abdominal muscles.
prone flutter kick
Here’s how to do it-
- Lying on the ground on the stomach, keeping the knees outwards, it is to be done in front of the face by tying the hands together.
- Then the chin has to rest on the hands.
- Raise both the legs upwards from the ground and move them up and down in such a way as if swimming is being done.
Benefits of Flutter Kicks
Flutter kicks is an abdominal exercise, which is helpful in strengthening the core muscles. It also helps in reducing the weight of people who want to lose weight. Come, let us know in detail about the benefits of flutter kicks-
- Posture improves by doing flutter kicks.
- The balance and stability of the person also improves.
- Abdominal muscles are strong.
- It is easier to do daily physical activities.
- Performing this exercise consistently helps a person achieve their fitness goals, as most physical activities require a strong core.
- Since flutter kicks are an abdominal exercise, it plays an important role in losing weight and getting a flat stomach.
Flutter Kicks Precautions
Flutter kicks strengthen the muscles of the body, but while doing it, it is important to pay attention to some special things. If there is already pain in the lower back , then doing flutter kicks can increase the back problem. Come, let us know in detail about the disadvantages and risks of flutter kicks –
- If a person feels pain in the lower back, then he should refrain from doing flutter kicks. In this way the problem of back can increase further.
- While doing this, the lower back should never be raised upwards, nor is it advised to bring the back in an arched position. This can lead to back injury or pain.
- While doing this, one should try to keep the lower part of the abdomen engaged through exercise. To do this, while trying to pull the lower part of the stomach inside the stomach, the breath should be taken in and then out. While doing flutter kicks, the abdominal muscles should be engaged and not the leg muscles.
- Flutter kicks exercise can be done in the first trimester of pregnancy, but it should be avoided in the second and third trimester. Still, it would be better if pregnant women consult a gynecologist before doing this.
Flutter kicks are an effective exercise for working out the lower abdominal muscles. By doing this, the person’s posture improves and helps in weight loss, but special attention should be paid to safety while doing this exercise. While doing this, the lower back should never be raised upwards, otherwise there is a possibility of back injury. If there is any doubt regarding this exercise, then it would be better to take the help of a fitness professional.