Let us know about Drinking milk during pregnancy. Giving birth to a new life is not an easy task. If you are pregnant, you have to take special care of your food and drink to provide proper nutrition to the baby growing in your womb. Getting enough nutrients is extremely important for your baby’s development and your overall health during pregnancy. Milk is a rich source of all the essential nutrients that you need during pregnancy. At this time, apart from fruits, vegetables, grains, etc., you should include a glass of milk daily in your diet. Continue reading the article to know the benefits of drinking milk!
benefits of drinking milk during pregnancy
There are mixed opinions regarding the inclusion of milk and other milk products in the diet during pregnancy, but milk is very beneficial for you during pregnancy. It provides you with various nutrients, which are essential for the healthy development of your baby. So, let us know why you should include this nutritious drink in your diet.
- Milk is highly nutritious and an important source of calcium and vitamin D for women during pregnancy. Do you know why you need Vitamin D during pregnancy? According to a study, getting enough vitamin D during pregnancy reduces the risk of allergies in the future baby. Additionally, pregnant women need 1000 to 1300 milligrams of calcium each day to nourish their bodies and those of their developing baby. Drinking milk during pregnancy can help you meet your calcium requirements. You can drink three cups of milk daily to meet your daily requirement of calcium.
- Drinking milk during pregnancy boosts the growth of the fetus and also helps in increasing the height of the child. In adolescence , the level of insulin in the baby’s blood is high, which can reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Milk is rich in proteins, amino acids and fatty acids – all of which are essential for the development of a baby’s nervous system. Being rich in calcium and iron, milk also helps in the formation and development of the baby’s bones and supplies enough oxygen to the baby. Apart from this, milk provides many essential vitamins such as vitamins A, B and D , etc., which help in the development of the fetus.
- Milk acts as an effective antacid, which helps in relieving heartburn and other gas-related problems, which are very common during pregnancy. Drinking milk is also helpful in keeping your body hydrated.
- The iodine content in milk is known to enhance fetal brain development and increase the IQ of children.
- Consumption of milk during pregnancy also lowers the risk of diseases like multiple sclerosis, neonatal rickets and osteoporosis.
What are the different types of milk that you can choose from during pregnancy?
When different types of milk are processed, they have different amounts of fat and calories. A woman’s diet and her physical condition during pregnancy determine what type of milk will be beneficial for her. Here are some types of milk that you can choose from:
1. Creamy Milk
Skimmed milk contains excess fat and nutrients that are removed in the skimming process. One cup of skim milk contains about 5 grams of saturated fat and 149 calories. If you are not very overweight, then this option is great for you and you can enjoy skimmed milk without any worries.
2. Pasteurized Milk
Pasteurization is the process in which milk is heated to a high temperature to destroy the microbes and enzymes responsible for spoilage when it is stored. Whether you choose skim or skimmed milk, you should make sure that it is pasteurized properly to avoid any serious illness for you or your baby. If you prefer to drink cold milk, pasteurize it before drinking and then cool it down.
3. Raw milk
Raw milk is basically unpasteurized. It contains infectious pathogens, unnecessary enzymes and cow’s pus cells. If raw milk is the only option you have, make sure to boil it and consume it either cold or hot.
Nutrition facts of different types of milk
When it comes to including milk in the diet of pregnant women, it is obvious that neither all women prefer to consume the same type of milk nor do all have the same nutritional needs. For example, vegan women prefer non-dairy and plant-based milks, while some women choose milk based solely on taste. Here are some types of milk with nutrition facts – you can choose according to your preference.
1. Cow’s milk
Cow’s milk is available in abundance and many people consume it. It comes in raw, skimmed, creamed, and in a variety of flavors.
Nutrients: Cow’s milk is rich in calcium and vitamins A, D and E. The proteins and amino acids present in milk are essential for cell formation in both the mother and the foetus. Vitamin D is essential for calcium absorption and protects against gestational diabetes, vitamin A strengthens the immunity system and also helps in maintaining eyesight. Vitamin E has antioxidant properties, which protect you from diseases. A glass of cow’s milk provides you with about 285 mg of calcium.
2. Goat’s Milk
Although goat milk is not such a popular choice, it is highly nutritious. Its taste may seem a bit strange, but if you choose quality over quantity, consuming it is very beneficial. This fresh milk, available in the form of UHT (Ultra High Temperature Processed), is heated above 135°C to remove germs. I
Nutrients: Goat’s milk contains more protein, vitamin B2 and butterfat globules than cow’s milk. The healthy fats present in goat milk also aid in lowering cholesterol levels, speeding up the metabolic process and better digestion. Vitamin A found in milk is easily absorbed by the body. A glass of goat milk contains about 283 mg of calcium.
3. Soya milk
To make soy milk, grind soybeans and soak them in water. It contains protein similar to cow’s milk and is available in different flavors, rich in fiber and calcium.
Nutrients: Soya milk provides you with adequate amount of calcium which is essential for both the mother and the child. It also provides healthy fats that are cholesterol-free and beneficial for the heart. Soya milk is also rich in antioxidants, which fight cancer and boost immunity. A glass of soy milk provides you with around 300 mg of calcium.
4. Almond milk
It is known as almond milk, milk is prepared by grinding almonds and adding water to it. It is an excellent alternative for those who are allergic to gluten and soy.
Nutrients: Almond milk is rich in folic acid , B vitamins, vitamin E, calcium, iron, protein and fiber. It is low in calories, saturated fat and cholesterol. A glass of unfortified almond milk contains 7.5 mg of calcium.
5. Oats milk
Oat milk is rich in fiber and low in calories. It provides relief from constipation and controls overeating and helps maintain blood sugar levels.
Nutrients: Oats milk is rich in vitamins A and B and also contains minerals like potassium, phosphorus and manganese. It contains more protein than almond and rice milk (milk prepared by mixing water with ground rice), but less protein than cow’s milk. Calcium is present in good amount in it, which is 120 mg per glass.
6. Milk Powder
Milk powder is made from natural pasteurized milk. It contains nutrients similar to cow’s milk.
These are different types of milk. It is believed that drinking saffron milk is very beneficial for a pregnant woman. If you want to drink saffron milk during pregnancy, you can consume any milk with a little saffron mixed in it. Saffron milk improves blood pressure, mood swings and digestion.
how to drink milk during pregnancy
If you drink raw or unpasteurized milk during pregnancy, it can be harmful to you and your baby. That is why we will tell you how you should consume milk during pregnancy –
- When milk is diluted with water in the ratio of 2 to 1, it is well absorbed by the body. In this way you can drink milk tea or a light milkshake.
- Drink warm milk slowly – don’t be in a hurry.
- Do not drink milk after having a heavy meal.
- Consume at least 3 cups of milk at different times during the day.
Precautions and Tips
Drinking milk is beneficial in pregnancy, but some things must be kept in mind while consuming milk or other milk products.
1. What to eat and drink
Consume dairy products like curd in the afternoon snack . Have a bowl of cereal with milk for a hearty breakfast. You can have low fat cheese with a sandwich or salad.
2. What to avoid
Avoid consuming unpasteurized milk and milk products made from it .
how much milk to drink during pregnancy
Drinking too much milk during pregnancy can lead to stomach gas and indigestion. That’s why you should consume milk or milk products in a balanced quantity. Consuming three cups of milk daily during pregnancy can provide you with all the essential nutrients. However, if you are drinking milk other than cow’s milk, its nutrient levels and the amount of nutrients you get from the cow may be different.
frequently Asked question
1. Drinking milk during pregnancy will make my baby fair – is it true?
This is a myth. Drinking milk or drinking saffron milk does not affect the complexion of your baby. The color depends entirely on the hereditary qualities inherited from the parents.
2. What if I do not drink milk during pregnancy?
Pregnant women who consume less than one cup of milk a day during pregnancy may have smaller babies than women who consume more than one cup. Women who are calcium deficient due to not consuming milk experience bone loss during pregnancy as the fetus absorbs calcium from the mother for growth.
3. Can I drink milk at night while pregnant?
Do not drink milk immediately after a meal. You can drink lukewarm milk with honey before going to bed for better quality of sleep and maintaining optimal blood sugar levels at night.
Whatever type of milk you consume, it should be in the right amount so that you can provide your baby with all the nutrients it needs for healthy development.