A pregnant woman should take full care of her diet. You must have heard how beneficial cumin is, but do you know why it is beneficial? Read this article completely for the benefits of drinking cumin water during pregnancy and other information related to it.
Cumin is produced in large quantities in India. It not only enhances the taste of food, but it is also a medicine found in the kitchen. For this reason cumin is used in daily cooking. It has many benefits and especially for pregnant women, this food is highly beneficial. Pregnant women can consume cumin in their daily diet and the easiest way to have it is in the form of cumin water. Some of the benefits of consuming cumin are given below, read this article completely to know.
Benefits of cumin water during pregnancy
Drinking cumin water is highly beneficial during pregnancy. Following are some of its advantages, let’s find out;
1. It may ease some of the discomforts of pregnancy
There are many common problems during pregnancy, such as morning sickness, insomnia, cold and cough, weakness. Drinking cumin water at this time improves the function of the whole body.
2. Balances the acid level in the body
Acid levels get affected during pregnancy which can lead to acidity, upset stomach and gas . Cumin water strengthens the abdominal muscles and is also more effective for heartburn and acidity.
3. It is also good for the cardiovascular system
There is a lot of potassium in cumin water . It helps in maintaining blood circulation and controlling blood pressure which results in good health of the unborn baby.
4. Keeps digestion right
Cumin water is very famous for its properties that help in keeping the digestive system healthy . Cumin water contains a component called “thymol” which stimulates bile and digestive juices. It keeps away constipation and digestive problems.
5. Rich in Iron
Iron present in pregnant women protects the fetus as well as nourishes it . That’s why women need more and more iron during pregnancy. Cumin water provides essential iron for pregnancy. Sufficient amount of iron in the body keeps anemia away.
6. It is a natural antioxidant
Cumin water helps in maintaining the immune system by destroying all the germs of the body. It is rich in vitamins ‘A’, ‘C’ and ‘E’ which improve overall health by eliminating all diseases.
7. Cumin is also good for gestational diabetes
Cumin is also used for other therapy of type 2 diabetes . The properties of cumin help in increasing insulin and controlling blood sugar. Gestational diabetes is also more likely to occur in women who have never been genetically predisposed to diabetes. Cumin water maintains the sugar level and prevents gestational diabetes.
8. It detoxes the body
A woman’s immune system becomes weak during pregnancy and detoxing the body without any side-effects is essential for good health . Cumin water is rich in phosphorous which improves kidney function and as a result all the toxins are flushed out from the body.
9. Cumin helps in increasing metabolism
The smell of cumin affects the production of saliva . Sufficient amount of saliva is a sign of good appetite. It helps in maintaining metabolism and accordingly increases or decreases weight.
10. It helps in the safe development of the fetus
Along with giving all the above mentioned benefits, cumin water also keeps the fetus safe, thereby eliminating the possibility of birth defects.
How to make cumin water?
Put 2 spoons of cumin in 2 liters of water and boil it on high flame for about 20 minutes. After cooling, strain the water to separate the cumin seeds and drink it.
Side-Effects of Cumin
Eating cumin is very beneficial but if eaten in the right quantity, but eating more cumin daily can also cause some side-effects. It is important to keep the following things in mind while drinking cumin water, let us know;
- Women who are suffering from GERD, if they eat cumin in excess, then they may have the problem of heartburn.
- It increases the body temperature of some women which can have an effect in their body.
- If you eat too many cumin seeds in a day, you may get belching again and again.
- Eating excessive amounts of cumin can cause kidney and liver damage.
- Women who have low blood sugar are not advised to eat cumin because cumin can reduce the blood sugar level further. Although it is beneficial for women with high blood sugar, it has the opposite effect on women whose blood sugar is naturally low.
- Women who are allergic to cumin, if they eat too much cumin then their skin may get rashes.
do’s and don’ts
- Do not confuse cumin and fennel at all. These two foods are different.
- Cumin should be eaten in moderation, so do not use it in excess. Adding too much cumin can also make the water bitter.
- Drink only one liter of cumin water in a day.
- Make a bottle of fresh cumin water daily.
- It is better to drink cumin water lukewarm or in normal temperature only.
Is it safe to drink cumin water during pregnancy? Yes, it is safe as well as healthy. However, avoid excessive consumption of any spice as they have a lot of effect on the body and cumin is also included in this. To take advantage of all the benefits of cumin, it is better and safer to drink it after making water and at the same time you can also enjoy its taste to the fullest.