Following a balanced diet during pregnancy is extremely important for you and your baby so that you get adequate nutrition. But during this time it is forbidden to consume some food items about which you should be cautious. If you are a seafood lover, then a question may arise in your mind whether crab meat can be eaten during pregnancy or not.
Is it safe to eat crab during pregnancy?
One of the major reasons to avoid seafood during pregnancy is that it contains certain substances that can harm you and your baby. It contains many pollutants and chemicals including mercury which can put your pregnancy at risk. The good news is that crabs are on the safe side when it comes to food contamination.
As long as the crab is cooked well, you can consume it in limited quantities and most importantly, the crab should be obtained from a clean place, if you take care of these things then the crab The flesh of is perfectly fine to eat.
benefits of eating crab during pregnancy
Some of the benefits of crab are as follows,
1. Provides nutrition
Many types of vitamins and minerals are found in crab, especially proteins, fatty acids, copper, zinc, calcium, manganese, iron etc. It is very beneficial for your health as well as for your baby.
2. Improves Mental Health
Omega-3 fatty acids are also found in crab. This element plays an important role in maintaining mental health and combating symptoms like depression. If you are suffering from any such symptoms or are in tense mental state, then include crab in your diet, it will be very beneficial for you.
3. A Good Source of Calcium
The amount of calcium in crab meat is very high. Calcium not only helps in the development of the bones of the baby but also helps in strengthening the bone structure of the mother as her body goes through changes during pregnancy. For the baby, it helps in the development of bones as well as the sciatic nerve and ears. During lactation, calcium provides high quality breast milk for the baby.
4. Provides Iron
Iron supply is very important for pregnant women. It increases the immunity of your body and helps in increasing the hemoglobin level. Both these things help in keeping the baby healthy and improve delivery. Crab is a great source of iron, which can prove to be very helpful for you.
5. Improves child development
During pregnancy, the development of the child is the highest, during this time the body and mind of the child are developing rapidly. In such a condition, there is a constant need for folate as well as protein. Both these elements are present in crab, which is very important for a healthy child.
6. Reduces the problem of high blood pressure
During pregnancy, your body’s stress level increases, due to which the blood pressure also becomes high. This can cause problems for the child. By eating crab meat, you can absorb the magnesium present in it by the body. Magnesium is a great way to overcome the problem of high blood pressure which helps you to control it.
7. Provides Magnesium
Magnesium is a very important element for the growth of the child. Your body cannot produce this element naturally. That’s why magnesium supplements are given during pregnancy so that the nerves and muscles can function properly.
8. Removes heart problem
Omega 3 fatty acids don’t just work for a baby’s brain development. In fact, they are also needed during birth, as they reduce the level of fats present in the blood, which, if left unchecked, can lead to massive complications. Omega-3 reduces the chances of suffering from stroke.
9. Folate is found
Folate is very important for the child, but more than that it is very important for you to consume it in sufficient quantity so that the neural tube can develop without any defect. It contains Vitamin B9 which helps a lot during the entire pregnancy. Although folate is present in many vegetables and fruits, it is not harmful to take supplements.
10. Removes anemia
Vitamin B12 is found in crabs. This vitamin plays an important role in making red blood cells. Along with the growth of red blood cells, it also removes the problem of anemia.
How much crab should be consumed by pregnant women?
Even though the amount of mercury in crabs is very low, it does not mean that you can eat your fill. King crab has the least mercury and can be consumed twice a week, with a total amount of not more than about 170 grams. Other varieties of crabs such as snow crab and blue crab are advised to be consumed in moderation as they contain high levels of mercury and are best avoided.
Precautions to be taken before consuming crab during pregnancy
Here are some things that you should keep in mind if you want to eat crab during pregnancy.
1. Always eat king crab
Different varieties of crab contain varying amounts of mercury. Compared to all of these, king crab contains very less amount of mercury. Hence considered safe to consume during pregnancy, mercury is extremely harmful to the fetus as it directly affects the brain and the entire nervous system, leading to birth defects and behavioral problems in the child.
2. Choose the Right Crab to Eat
Even the amount of mercury in king crab varies depending on where you get it from. May be mercury is present in high quantity from where it was brought. So avoid crabs from those places which are brought from local bodies.
3. Don’t eat raw meat
While there are many dishes that use raw crab meat, you should use pre-cooked crabs. Consuming raw meat is not healthy as it contains microbes and parasites which can be harmful for you and the baby. Consuming it can lead to food poisoning , if there is an infection, it can have a bad effect on the development of the child.
4. Meat should be cooked properly
If raw meat is not cooked properly, it can cause problems for you and the baby. That’s why meat should be cooked well. This kills microbes and parasites and reduces your chances of getting infected.
5. Don’t use frozen meat
When it comes to consuming crab, you are not advised to consume frozen crab. Bacteria start to grow during the process of freezing and preserving it. However, some studies have shown that canned crab available in sealed pouches is considered safe to consume.
6. Make it hygienically
You should consume clean and healthy crabs as much as possible, clean the utensil in which you make it thoroughly. Whatever you have used to keep raw crab, clean it thoroughly and then use it. Whatever meat is left, keep it in an air tight container. If crab has been left out for more than a few hours, do not use it again.
Is It Safe to Consume Snow Crab Legs During Pregnancy?
You must be wondering whether snow crab legs can be consumed during pregnancy or not. If seen, there is not much fat in the leg of snow crab. Legs, on the other hand, have a high sodium content. If it is not consumed in limited quantity then it can be harmful for you.
The best way to eat snow crab leg is to cook it well, you can steam, boil, fry and consume it. Do not consume it raw or half cooked under any circumstances. Similarly, keep in mind that you consume it in limited quantity.
Some easy and best crab recipes
Here are some of the best crab recipes for you, so let’s have a look at the recipes.
1. Crab Cakes
If you like eating crab, then you must try this dish during pregnancy.
do you want it:
- dry breadcrumbs
- canola oil
- crab meat thoroughly cleaned
- onion powder
- dry mustard
- different seasonings
- Worcestershire Sauce
- fresh lime juice
- egg white
- hot pepper sauce
- green onions finely chopped
- chopped seedless red bell pepper
- chopped green capsicum
How to prepare:
- Take a big pan and put some oil in it. Gently place the flat crab cakes one after the other so that there is enough room to turn each cake. Keep cooking them on one side till it turns slightly golden brown, then flip the cake to do the other side.
- Add crab meat to it and mix it well. Take a little mixture in your hand and shape it into a ball. Now press these balls lightly to make small cakes.
- Take a bowl and put breadcrumbs in it. Mix together green and red bell peppers, chopped green onions and coriander. Add egg white, mayonnaise, fresh lemon juice, sauce and mustard together and mix it well.
- Mix it well together by adding seasoning along with dry mustard powder. Also add some onion powder and mix it in such a way that everything gets mixed well.
- Take a big plate and spread a layer of this breadcrumbs. Place the crab cakes in it and cover it well with breadcrumbs. Do the same with the rest of the cakes.
- Take a pan, add oil and fry the cakes. Fry it till it becomes crispy.
- Take out the cakes and place them on paper towels to drain off the excess oil.
- These delicious crab cakes are ready to eat.
2. Chicken Breast with Crab Meat Stuffing
To make the taste of chicken even better, you can try this great dish.
do you want it:
- Chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- fresh crab meat
- soft cream cheese
- finely chopped onions
- Vegetable oil
- scrambled eggs
- Fine flour
- Lemon Pepper
- finely chopped garlic
- salt and pepper
How to prepare:
- Take a big bowl and put cheese in it. Mix it well with onion, coriander, garlic and lemon pepper. Then put the crab in it and mix it once again.
- Keep this mixture in the fridge for a few hours.
- Make horizontal cuts in the chicken breast with a knife to make room for the stuffing. Take out the stuffing from the fridge and stuff it in the chicken breast.
- Take a big plate and put breadcrumbs in it. Take another plate and take white flour. Take another plate and place the eggs in it.
- In this order, dip the chicken breast in the egg and roll it in each plate to coat it evenly from all sides.
- Take a pan and add butter and oil to it. Heat it and add chicken breast pieces one by one and let it turn golden brown on both the sides, for which you will need 10 minutes either way.
- Remove the excess oil by taking out the chicken breast on a paper towel. Serve it hot!!
Crab meat is not only delicious, but it is also very nutritious. It is high in Omega-3 which helps in the development of your baby’s brain. Make it properly and consume it in limited quantity, then you can get a lot of benefits from it.