Chia seeds are counted among superfoods. The reason behind this is the nutritious elements present in it, which can be considered beneficial for the body in many ways. But, can it be safe to consume during pregnancy? If you have this question in your mind too, here is detailed information related to consuming chia seeds during pregnancy. Here are the benefits, disadvantages and some delicious recipes of chia seeds during pregnancy. For complete details read the article till the end.
So let us know whether it is safe to consume chia seeds during pregnancy or not.
Are Chia Seeds Safe In Pregnancy?
Yes, chia seeds can be considered safe during pregnancy. A research published on the website of NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information) states that consumption of chia seeds during pregnancy can help in the development of the retina and brain of the fetus. Apart from this, it contains many such nutrients, which can be beneficial in pregnancy. Further in the article, we have discussed in detail the benefits of consuming chia seeds during pregnancy.
Let us now know about the nutritional elements of chia seeds.
Chia Seeds Nutrients
In this part of the article, we are giving information about the nutritional elements of Chia Seeds. So let’s know which nutrients are present in chia seeds:
- 100 grams of chia seeds contain about 500 kcal of energy along with 16.67g of protein.
- Not only this, 100 grams of chia seeds contain 41.67g of carbohydrate and 41.7g of fiber.
- On the other hand, talking about minerals, 667mg calcium and 9.17mg iron are present in 100 grams of chia seeds.
- In addition, 25g of fatty acids (total polyunsaturated) are also present in 100g of chia seeds.
Here we will know what should be the quantity of chia seeds consumed during pregnancy.
How Much Chia Seeds Can Pregnant Women Consume?
Typically 25 grams of chia seeds can be consumed. However, at present, there is no exact information about the quantity of chia seeds that should be consumed during pregnancy. Therefore, before consuming it, pregnant women must consult a doctor once.
In this part of the article, we will learn about the benefits of chia seeds during pregnancy.
Benefits Of Consuming Chia Seeds In Pregnancy
There can be many benefits of eating chia seeds during pregnancy. Below we are giving the benefits of eating chia seeds in a sequential manner.
- Relief from constipation : The problem of constipation is very common during pregnancy (4) . In such a situation, chia seeds can prove to be beneficial. As we told in the article that the amount of fiber is present in it ( 2 ) . When mixed with water, it forms a gel, which can help soften stools. This can ease the process of bowel movements and relieve constipation (5) .
- Helpful in boosting energy : A pregnant woman can face fatigue during pregnancy . In such a situation, they are advised to consume foods rich in nutritious elements. Chia seeds can also be included in this. Actually, energy is found in abundance in Chia seeds ( 2 ) . On this basis, it can be assumed that chia seeds can be helpful in boosting energy during pregnancy.
- Helpful for the fetus : Consuming chia seeds during pregnancy can benefit the pregnant woman as well as the fetus. In fact, according to a research published on the NCBI website, consumption of chia seeds during pregnancy can help in the development of the retina (an essential part of the eye) and brain of the fetus (1 ) .
- Useful for bones : Calcium is considered an essential nutrient during pregnancy . According to a research, calcium is essential for the development of fetal bones (6) . In such a situation, consumption of chia seeds can prove to be beneficial. Actually, chia seeds can play an important role in the development and strengthening of bones by supplying calcium (7) .
- Prevention of heart disease : Chia seeds can be helpful to some extent in preventing heart disease during pregnancy. In fact, a research mentions that chia seeds contain fiber, which can help reduce the risk of heart disease (8) .
- Improves Immune System : A research shows that consumption of chia seeds can work to improve the immune system. This can help pregnant women fight diseases and infections during pregnancy (8) .
- Learn about how you can use chia seeds in this part of the article.
How To Consume Chia Seeds?
After knowing the properties of chia seeds, let us also know the methods of its consumption. Here we will tell many such measures through which Chia seeds can be easily consumed.
- Chia seeds can be consumed with water.
- Chia seeds can also be eaten as a snack.
- Chia seeds can also be consumed by adding them to fruit salad or vegetable salad.
- Chia seeds pudding can also be made.
- Chia seeds can also be used in smoothies.
- Chia seeds can also be consumed with curd.
After consuming chia seeds, it is also necessary to know about its side effects.
Side Effects Of Consuming Chia Seeds In Pregnancy
There is no doubt that the consumption of chia seeds during pregnancy is beneficial. But, consuming it in excess can also be harmful. Here we are discussing the side effects of chia seeds during pregnancy:
- As we mentioned in the article that Chia seeds are rich in fiber. At the same time, the excess of fiber in the body can cause flatulence , gas and abdominal cramps ( 9 ) .
- Chia seeds can also cause allergic complaints , so if a woman is allergic to chia seeds, do not consume it during pregnancy ( 10 ) .
- In addition, chia seeds have anti-blood clotting properties (8) . In such a situation, if a pregnant woman is taking blood-thinning medication or has undergone any type of surgery, then she should avoid consuming it. This can cause bleeding problems .
Here we are going to tell the recipe of Chia Seeds.
Chia Seeds Recipe
You have already come to know the benefits and uses of chia seeds during pregnancy. Let us now tell its three wonderful recipes, which can be consumed during pregnancy.
1. Chia Fresca
- water – a glass
- lemon – half
- Chia seeds – two teaspoons
- Sugar or honey (as required)
Method of making :
- First take water and squeeze lemon in it.
- After this add chia seeds to it.
- Then add sugar or honey to it.
- Mix well all the ingredients added to the water.
- Now enjoy this Chia Fresca.
Note : Please tell that consumption of lemon and honey is considered safe during pregnancy.
- Chia Seeds Sandwich
- Banana ripe – one
- Brown bread – 2 slices
- Peanut Butter – 2 tbsp
- Chia seeds – 2 teaspoons
- honey (as required)
- Butter – 1 tsp
Method of making :
- First peel the banana and cut it into round pieces.
- Now take a slice of bread and apply peanut butter on it.
- After this decorate the cut banana on it.
- Then put chia seeds on top of it.
- If you want, you can also put honey on top of it.
- After this cover it with another bread.
- Then heat a pan and apply butter in it.
- After this, roast the sandwich made on this pan till it becomes light brown.
- In this way, a wonderful Chia Seed Sandwich will be ready.
Note : Banana consumption is also considered safe during pregnancy.
- Chia Seeds Smoothie
- Banana ripe – two
- Milk – 2 cups
- Chia seed – 1 teaspoon
- Honey – one teaspoon
- Vanilla essence – ¼ tsp
Method of making :
- First peel the banana and put it in a jar and then add milk to it and grind it.
- After that add honey to it and mix it well.
- Now put chia seeds on top of it. Also add vanilla essence to it.
- Now take it out in a glass and serve it. If you want, you can also put dry fruits on top of it.