Eating Betel leaf is very common in our country and in families. Consuming Betel leaf provides many benefits to your body and is also known to increase your appetite. At times, you may get craving for sweet Betel leaf during pregnancy and you may feel like tasting the flavor of Betel leaf. But is it safe for the baby or does it have harmful effects on the baby? Let us know by reading this article.
Is it safe to eat Betel leaf during pregnancy?
Consuming paan can be a healthy option for many people. However, during pregnancy you are advised to avoid it.
Eating paan with betel nut can have a bad effect on your health, even it can lead to cancer. There are many places where it is a tradition to have regular paan even during pregnancy and due to this there have been many cases where women have faced complications during pregnancy or birth disorders etc. in the child.
Why is it common to consume betel leaf during pregnancy?
The reason behind why most pregnant women continue to eat paan during pregnancy is because this tradition has been going on in their families for a long time. By consuming betel leaves, it helps in the process of digesting food and increases appetite. In some places, betel leaves are applied to the breasts during breastfeeding to increase milk production.
Antioxidants are present in sufficient quantity in betel leaves. Thus it helps in treating many diseases like cough, dehydration, bloating, constipation, headache etc. in a natural way.
Benefits of consuming betel leaf during pregnancy
Below are the benefits associated with consuming betel leaves during pregnancy:
- Betel leaves have a natural tendency to increase appetite, consuming betel leaves improves your digestion process and consuming it during pregnancy gives you relief from constipation.
- Many antioxidants and minerals are present in betel leaves, which further increase its nutritional value after consuming it.
Side effects of consuming betel leaves during pregnancy
Among its most harmful effects, the risk of cancer has been found to be the highest in people who eat paan daily. Mostly it leads to oral cancer which is not only harmful for the mother but it can also affect the child.
- Consuming betel leaf during pregnancy can have a bad effect on the fetus. Consuming it in the stages of development is considered unsafe for the child, it can cause birth defects in the child and even there is a risk of miscarriage.
- Consuming sweet betel during pregnancy can cause cancer, but more than that there is a possibility of mouth ulcers. Sometimes, it takes a long time to heal. Apart from this, after going inside the body, it can affect your organs like food pipe, larynx and throat, etc., which can cause you a lot of trouble.
- Most of the paan bought from paan shops is mixed with tobacco. Tobacco increases your dopamine levels, which can affect the body’s biology. Apart from this, you may get addicted to it, which can have a bad effect on the child, because all these things can prove to be dangerous for the development of the child.
- Applying lime on betel leaf does not eliminate all its nutrients, but definitely it affects your heartbeat, due to which you may have a problem of palpitation. Apart from this, you may also have coronary heart disease. Many times, people get addicted to eating lime.
- Regular consumption of sweet betel can increase your weight, due to which you may have the problem of obesity.
Craving during pregnancy is not a new thing and it happens with almost all pregnant women that they feel like eating strange things during pregnancy. However, it is very important for you to understand that not all your cravings can be satiated, as consumption of certain things can harm you in the long run. If you are having a craving to eat paan, then you should choose another safe option to calm its craving so that you do not have to worry. It is better that you avoid consuming betel leaves during pregnancy so that your baby can develop well and at the same time you do not have to face any complications.