Mostly known for its hair and skin beautifying properties, castor oil has some amazing medical benefits that many of us are not aware of. However, our elders have always talked about the goodness of castor oil, how useful it is for us. Most of us are only aware of its hair and skin benefits. In addition, castor oil is known for its anti-bacterial properties and various medicinal and therapeutic benefits. Know how castor oil is beneficial in other things.
First of all, we will give you some information about its history –
Ricinus communis, the castor bean or castor oil plant, is a species of perennial flowering plant in the spurge family, Euphorbiaceae. It is the only species in the monotypic genus, Ricinus, and subtribe, Ricininae. The evolution of castor bean and its relationship with other species is currently being studied using modern genetic tools. It reproduces with a mixed pollination system that favors itself by geitonogamy but can also be an out-crosser by anemophily (wind pollination) or entomophily (insect pollination).
Its seed is the castor bean, which despite its name is not a bean (i.e. the seed of many Fabaceae). Castor is indigenous to the southeastern Mediterranean basin, eastern Africa, and India, but is widespread throughout the tropics (and widely grown elsewhere as an ornamental plant).
Castor seeds are the source of castor oil, which has a variety of uses. The seeds contain 40% to 60% oil which is rich in triglycerides, mainly ricinolein. The seeds also contain the water-soluble toxin, ricin, which is also present in low concentrations throughout the plant.
Benefits of castor oil and amazing medical benefits found in it:
- To increase immunity – For those who follow Ayurveda or naturopathy, castor oil strengthens the immune system by increasing white blood cells and thus fighting infections. Castor oil has also been proven to increase the number of T-11 cells (a type of white blood cell) in the blood and the production of lymphocytes within hours of application. It initiates the body to produce more antibodies as well to kill viruses, fungi, bacteria and cancer cells.
Castor oil also improves blood flow, thymus gland health, and lymph drainage. Some research has shown that patients using castor oil packs have a significant increase in the production of lymphocytes as compared to patients using placebo packs. Lymphocytes are the body’s natural disease fighters that attack outside invaders such as bacteria and other toxins. The lymphatic system affects the digestive and circulatory systems and thus helps you detox, support heart health and also help with digestive issues.
Castor oil is hydrolyzed in the small intestine by pancreatic enzymes, releasing glycerol and ricinoleic acid as well as other beneficial metabolites.
- Boosts circulation Immunity and proper blood flow go hand in hand. If your lymphatic system doesn’t work, you will become chronically ill. The circulatory system is important for keeping us alive by bringing oxygen to our cells. Castor oil has been shown to help with blood flow.
To induce labour: According to gynaecologists, many pregnant women are given castor oil orally at full term, as it induces labor by pushing uterine contractions. The ricinoleic acid present in the oil activates the EP3 prostanoid receptor in the uterus, which helps in delivery. However, it is not recommended in many cases, as it can make the woman nauseous.
- To get rid of moles and cysts
Applying castor oil along with a pinch of baking soda on the infected area gives the desired result. In fact, topical application of castor oil also solves the problem of cysts and corns by dissolving them. Castor oil is also said to help dissolve cysts in the ovaries because the fatty acids in castor oil are easily absorbed by the skin.
- For constipation – Castor oil is also beneficial as a laxative – when taken orally, the ricinoleic acid is released into the intestine and then it starts acting as a laxative . The heat created by castor oil helps in the process of digestion and cleanses the system by helping in proper bowel movement.
- To treat joint pain – Castor oil is known to treat arthritis, its anti-inflammatory properties make it an ideal massage oil for relief from joint pain, nerve inflammation and sore muscles. Massaging the joints with castor oil and keeping a hot water bag provides relief from pain. In cases of arthritis, this process if repeated twice a week will ensure better results.
- Reduces Arthritis Symptoms – Castor oil has been used since ancient times as a natural remedy for arthritis pain, swelling and joint pain. Castor oil has natural anti-inflammatory properties which makes it an ideal massage oil that can be applied to sore muscles and joints.
You can try massaging the affected area with castor oil followed by a hot water pack. If you do this exercise for a week, you will feel that the pain has reduced in no time.
- Makes your hair strong and voluminous – Castor oil is great for your long and shiny hair . Using castor oil twice a week can help your hair grow faster, stronger, shinier, thicker and dandruff-free. Castor oil contains omega-6 fatty acids that penetrate the hair shaft and improve circulation.
The antifungal and antibacterial properties of castor oil can help remove dandruff and heal scalp infections.
Recipe: Mix one teaspoon of castor oil with one teaspoon of olive oil and add the juice of half a lemon, apply this mask on the roots of your hair for about 30 minutes and then wash it off with shampoo.
Castor oil is also great for controlling hair fall.
Recipe: Mix castor oil and olive oil in the ratio of 4:6 and apply twice a week. You will be able to see the change in 2 months.
- Heals dry, irritated, sunburned or acne-prone skin
Want to get rid of acne forever? This is the solution, use castor oil. The ricinoleic acid found in castor oil makes it a great natural home remedy for fighting acne. It penetrates deep into the skin and fights the overgrowth of bacteria that can clog pores, It softens and hydrates irritated skin at the same time, It also works to address deeper issues that cause breakouts, such as an unhealthy balance of bacteria within the gut and hormonal imbalances.
It has magical effects on the skin such as:
- The dryness of the face will go away
- get rid of facial spots
- get rid of dark circles
- The problem of dry lips will go away
- get rid of facial wrinkles
- get rid of facial wrinkles
After heating castor oil lightly, dip your fingernails in it for a while and then massage it. If you want, instead of immersing the nails, you can apply oil on the nails and massage them with the help of cotton. This will make the nails shiny.
Now we have told you about the best beauty products made from castor oil, which you can also buy online.
- Mamaearth Castor Oil for Healthier Skin, Hair and Nails with 100% Pure and Natural Cold-Pressed Oil, 150ml Oil)
- Rey Naturals Premium Cold Pressed Castor Oil – Pure & Virgin Grade – for Healthy Hair and Skin – 200 ML
- WOW Skin Science 100% Pure Castor Oil – Cold Pressed – For Stronger Hair, Skin & Nails – No Mineral Oil & Silicones, 200 ml – No Mineral Oil & Silicones, 200ml)
- WishCare® Premium Cold Pressed Castor Oil – Pure & Virgin Grade – For Healthy Hair and Skin – 200 Ml