Sauna bath has been used since ancient times. With the passage of time, its trend is increasing, because the benefits of taking steam bath are not one, but many. Even today, it is used to relieve the body from many types of diseases. Here both the Benefits of sauna bath and the disadvantages of taking more steam baths are described.
What is Steam/Sauna Bath
Steam bath, this is a special type of bath, in which instead of water, you are bathed with steam. Sauna baths are a form of whole body thermotherapy (hot therapy), used in different ways around the world. It is first done in a room with dry air at a temperature of about 80 to 100 °C. People take bath with its steam, that is, the whole body is steamed. For this reason it is called steam bath.
At the same time, during the sauna bath, the room temperature ranges from 80 to 90 ° C, due to which harmful substances are removed from the body through sweat. This can be repeated 1 to 3 times for 5 to 20 minutes. The history of steam baths is linked to the ancient Roman civilization, from where it originated. In ancient times, the Romans invented this technique to get rid of many types of physical problems.
Now read information related to the benefits of sauna bath.
Benefits of Steam/Sauna Bath
People who take steam/sauna bath are also unaware of its benefits. Keeping this in mind, we are mentioning some of the major benefits of sauna bath further in the article.
1. Benefits of Taking Steam Bath to Lose Weight
The benefits of taking a steam bath can also be in weight control. Even though this is hard to believe, but it is true. It is mentioned in a research paper that steam bath can reduce weight. Actually, it can work to reduce weight by increasing the heat in the body.
In a research conducted on men and women, it was found that there can be a difference in weight after taking steam bath. Their weight decreased due to dehydration during the steam bath. Another research also mentions that steam bath can also burn extra calories. In such a situation, it can be believed that it can be helpful to some extent in reducing weight.
2. Benefits of Sauna Bath for Blood Circulation
Sauna or steam bath can be considered a better way to improve blood circulation. According to a research paper present at NCBI (National Center of Biotechnology Information), steam bath can improve the blood circulation of the body. It is believed that when taking steam or sauna bath, the blood vessels of the body dilate, which reduces blood pressure.
3. To relieve stiffness of joints
Sauna bath can prove to be beneficial in relieving joint stiffness. According to research, steam bath relaxes the muscles. In addition, it can reduce pain, swelling, and stiffness caused by arthritis in the joints as well as in the spine. Seen in this way, it can prove to be very beneficial for all the discomforts related to joints, not just stiffness.
4. Benefits of Taking Steam Bath to Improve Immunity
The benefits of taking a steam bath can be seen in improving immunity. According to research, taking a steam bath or a sauna bath increases the body temperature. This increases the activity of monocytes (white blood cells). These cells eliminate bacteria and remove dead tissue. In addition, monocytes and neutrophils (types of white blood cells) can protect the body from harmful microbes as well as improve the immune system.
5. Beneficial in relieving stress
There are benefits of taking a steam bath to relieve stress. This special bath can be beneficial in relieving stress and relaxing the body as well as removing oxidative stress of the body. Also, this bath can reduce anxiety and depression, which will help in getting good sleep. On this basis, it can be said that the benefits of sauna bath can be seen under stress.
6. Aids in Blood Pressure Control
Steam bath can prove to be a better option to overcome the problem of blood pressure. According to research, when a person takes a steam bath, blood pressure increases due to exposure to hot and after some time taking a sauna bath, there is a decrease in blood pressure. According to another research, regular sauna bathing can reduce the risk of high blood pressure. In such a situation, it can be believed that the benefits of taking a steam bath can be beneficial in blood pressure control.
7. Muscle Pain Relief
A sauna bath can be relaxing to relieve muscle pain. A study published in the Journal of Clinical Medicine Research found that taking a steam bath or sauna therapy after a workout increases blood flow, which can reduce muscle soreness.
According to research published on NCBI, then sauna bath can be beneficial in relieving muscle pain that occurs after exercise. Another study reported that steam therapy may also be helpful in relieving muscle pain.
8. Improve respiratory function
Sauna bath can be beneficial for the respiratory system. According to a research paper, sauna baths may be helpful in improving mood and quality of life by enhancing the cardiovascular, respiratory and immune systems. According to NCBI, sauna bath can reduce the risk of respiratory diseases. In such a situation, it can be believed that the benefits of sauna bath can be seen in the respiratory process.
9. Benefits of Sauna Bath for Skin
Steam bath is also beneficial for the skin. Steam bath reduces the sebum of the skin, which can get rid of the problem of oily skin. If another study is to be believed, warm baths open the pores of the skin, which can deeply cleanse the skin and also flush out harmful bacteria that damage the skin.
In addition, it can also help to remove toxins from the skin. Research paper states that steam can also be helpful in regenerating the skin. This is the reason why steam bath is considered good for the skin.
Side Effects of Steam/Sauna Bath
Steam baths can be beneficial if taken with care, but can also be harmful if taken carelessly. Actually, it is recommended to do sauna bath for 20 to 25 minutes only. It has been told in the research paper that if someone takes a sauna bath for 40 minutes, then he may have many physical problems. In such a situation, look ahead at the damage caused by taking a sauna bath without being careful.
- Before taking a steam or sauna bath, one thing must be kept in mind that taking a bath for a long time can burn the skin and cause blisters due to the hot temperature.
- There is a risk of sudden death due to taking a sauna bath for a long time.
- Steam or sauna bath should not be taken after consuming alcohol, it can increase blood pressure, which can be injurious to health.
- This bath can also be harmful for people suffering from heart and high blood pressure problems. This can increase the heart rate and increase the risk of sudden heart attack and heart disease.
- If the woman is pregnant, be aware that prolonged steam or sauna baths can be harmful to the unborn baby.
- Before taking steam or sauna bath, cover the delicate parts with a towel, otherwise harmful effects like blisters can be seen on the skin there.
- Using other people’s towels and soap during the bath can put you at risk of infection.
- Sitting in the steam bath for a long time or any kind of carelessness in following the given instructions can lead to skin infections and allergies . In some severe cases, it can even lead to death.
Frequently asked Questions
Is steam bath harmful to the lungs?
No, sauna i.e. steam bath is not harmful for lungs, but keep in mind that people who have respiratory problems should avoid taking steam bath.
What should we do after steam bath?
- The benefits of taking a steam bath are many, which have been discussed in the article, but after taking a steam bath, it is also necessary to take care of some things.
- After taking a steam bath, you should definitely take a bath with normal water.
- If you are taking steam bath for the first time, then how much and when to take bath. Be sure to ask an expert about it.
- Avoid going to the steam room if the body temperature is high for some reason.
- If there is a health problem, then do not take steam bath without asking the doctor.