A pinch of salt changes the taste of our food or rather, without salt, delicious food cannot be made. Do you know that salt is needed more for our health than it is for taste. In this article, we will talk about the properties of salt as well as the benefits of salt. Along with this, we will also give information related to the loss of salt due to its high quantity here.
How many types of salt are there?
The types of salt are mainly divided into two different parts. First salt made under various processes. Another naturally occurring salt. The following are the types of salt formed under this process.
- Solar salt – Solar salt or solar salt is made by collecting seawater water in open ponds. The water is evaporated in sunlight and dried and the rest is left as salt.
- Pure salt – Pure salt is also called as purifier salt. To make this salt, sea water is dried inside a tube. The salt remains after the water dries up.
- Processed salt – It is also known as table salt. This salt is devoid of minerals and other chemicals have been added, whereas natural salt contains minerals such as electrolytes.
The naturally occurring salts are as follows.
- table salt
- sea salt
- Himalayan pink salt
- celtic sea salt
- flavor de salt
- Black Salt
- flake salt
- black hawn salt
After the types of salt, now let us talk in detail about the various benefits of salt.
Benefits of Salt
Common salt is known as sodium chloride, which consists of 40% sodium and 60% chloride. Salt enhances the taste of food as well as prevents it from spoiling quickly. If salt is consumed in limited quantity, then it can be beneficial for health in many ways. Some of the benefits of the miraculous remedy of salt are as follows.
1. Benefits of Salt in Dehydration
In the case of diarrhea and cholera , the body becomes dehydrated. In the case of dehydration, the level of water and minerals in the body decreases. If this problem is not removed in time, then the kidney can be affected . In this case, ORS (Oral Rehydration Solution) solution is made by mixing common salt and sugar in water. This solution can hydrate the body by relieving the problem of diarrhea.
2. Salt remedies for muscle pain (pain in legs)
Often there is a problem of cramps in the leg muscles.This problem can be caused by exercise, fluctuations, pregnancy, electrolyte imbalance in the body and lack of salt. Also, when players play, their body sweats more, due to which the amount of common salt in the body can be reduced by about 4-6 teaspoons. In such a situation, fresh fruits and vegetables should be consumed, they naturally contain salt. Such foods can reduce the problem of cramps to some extent. This is the reason why players are advised to drink a quarter teaspoon of salt mixed with water. In addition, tomato juice and other sports drinks can also be good salt substitutes.
3. Benefits of Salt for Healthy Teeth
Healthy gums and strong teeth are the hallmarks of beauty. By using salt, teeth can be made strong and gums healthy. The fluoride compound found in it has a carostatic effect, which can weaken and prevent teeth from breaking.
In addition, gargling with simple salt water can clear up mouth infections. Actually, rinsing with salt water cleans the bacteria that make up plaque. These plaques are the main cause of tooth decay and gum disease. For this reason, healthy teeth are also counted in the salt trick.
4. Salt Remedies for Sore Throat
If there is a sore throat or swelling, there can be trouble from eating food to drinking water and talking. In such a situation, the miraculous remedy of salt i.e. gargling can be done. For this, gargle with lukewarm salt water (half a teaspoon of salt and 1 cup of water) several times a day. It is believed that common salt has many such properties, which can relieve throat swelling as well as provide some relief from sore throat.
5. Salt Remedies for Puffy Eyes
Mild swelling under the eyes is common with increasing age. Sometimes this problem is also caused by smoking, alcohol and drugs. Apart from this, allergies and eczema also cause puffiness under the eyes. In this case, swelling can be reduced with cold water and salt compress. Not only this, swelling can also be reduced by a hot water bath. For this reason, salt can be considered good for the puffiness of the eyes.
6. Effective in Cystic Fibrosis
Cystic fibrosis causes problems in the lungs and digestive system. In this disease, there is a deficiency of salt or rather, due to this, sodium chloride is removed from the body. Salt and such a situation, the properties of salt can reduce the risk of this problem, but doctor’s advice and treatment is necessary to cure it completely. Therefore, cystic fibrosis is also counted among the benefits of eating salt.
7. Salt Remedies to Relieve Sinus
The benefits of eating salt alsoinclude getting rid of sinus. Actually, there are some hollow holes (cavities) in the inner part of the head and face, which are called sinuses. These pores help in breathing. Sinus occurs when there is any kind of blockage in these pores. It can also cause fever, weakness, fatigue and cough.
To overcome this problem, you can take advantage of the miraculous remedy of salt. For this, salt water ie saline solution can be used. Rinsing the nose with salt water can reduce the problem of inflammation caused by infection and remove mucus.
After the benefits of eating salt, now let us know what can happen if the amount of salt is more or less.
What happens if you take less salt?
Salt regulates body fluid in the body, which can keep blood pressure balanced. In addition, salt is also necessary for the proper functioning of the thyroid gland. If someone does not consume salt in the right amount, then he can have low blood pressure. In addition, consuming less salt also causes these problems.
- Hyponatremia (low sodium levels) in the blood
- Getting nausea
- vomiting and fatigue
- Osteoporosis (bone disease)
- lethargy and fainting
- having brain damage
- Stroke, coma and death in severe cases
Know more about what happens when there is too much salt.
What happens if you take too much salt?
The disadvantages of salt appear when it is consumed in excess. If it is taken in excess quantity, there may be a problem of water retention, because the kidney is unable to filter the excess salt and it starts accumulating in the body. This is the reason why in kidney or liver disease , it is first recommended to stop or limit salt intake to a very small amount.
Apart from this, there is a problem called hypernatremia, due to which there can be excess sodium and water in the body. The normal amount of sodium in the body is 158–160 mmol/liter. An overdose of this can cause many problems.
- heart failure
- Other kidney problems with kidney stones
- the strokes
- stomach cancer
- thickening of heart muscle
- These are common problems with osteoporosis
Know more about these problems caused by excessive consumption of salt.
What are the disadvantages of consuming too much salt?
There are miraculous remedies for salt, but many types of side effects are also seen due to excessive consumption, which we have already mentioned above. Now detailed information about these disadvantages is given below.
1. Osteoporosis – The problem of osteoporosis is due to the weakness of bones. Consuming too much salt leads to less calcium in the body. Due to its deficiency, bones become weak, due to which osteoporosis has to be faced.
Also, consuming too much salt can cause hypertension and for this reason also one may have to face osteoporosis. For this reason, the amount of sodium in the food should be balanced.
2. Kidney problems – It is believed that excessive intake of salt leads to high blood pressure and in this condition calcium molecules are released from the bone minerals and gradually get deposited in the kidney. Then over time these molecules become the cause of stones in the kidney and urethra.
This is the reason why people suffering from high blood pressureoften suffer from chronic kidney disease (CKD). This problem occurs due to the inability to reduce the excess sodium in the body. A sodium intake of less than 4,000 milligrams a day is said to ward off CKD and other kidney diseases.
3. Heart problems – Consuming high amounts of salt can increase the risk of high blood pressure, which can pose a risk for heart disease and arteries. Other researchers found that high blood pressure can be controlled by lowering sodium intake.
A study in Japan also found that low salt intake can reduce mortality from high blood pressure and stroke. So it is clear that excess salt is not good for heart health at all.
4. Stomach cancer – Excess salt damages the skin of the stomach and causes sores, which can lead to colon cancer. Excess sodium in the stomach can increase inflammation in gastric mucosal cells. It can also increase the risk of gastric cancer. In such a situation, the properties of salt can be harmful.
In addition, salt can also increase infection with bacteria called Helicobacter pylori, which damages the skin of the abdomen. It also increases the risk of gastric cancer.
5. Blood pressure – Even though it helps in low blood pressure due to the properties of salt, but there is a risk of high BP due to it. Actually, excess sodium present in salt can increase the problem of blood pressure. In such a situation, it can be said that the consumption of excess salt is harmful for people suffering from high blood pressure.
6. Weight – No matter how many salt tricks are there, but one side effect of this is weight gain. In a research, it is mentioned that the sodium present in salt drains the energy of the person’s body quickly, due to which the person eats more food. As a result, a person’s weight starts increasing and he becomes a victim of obesity.
Which foods are high in salt/sodium?
Foods with a good amount of salt or sodium include these.
- bread rolls
- frozen food
- bakery products
- Desi cheese
You have seen how a balanced amount of salt that enhances the taste of food can be beneficial. Although salt tricks help in removing many problems, but to treat the serious problem, contact the doctor only. Yes, the properties of salt can definitely provide relief from many problems. In such a situation, if you take more or less salt than necessary, then balance it and take the benefits of eating salt.
Frequently asked questions
How bad is salt for your body?
Excess intake of salt can cause high blood pressure and other health problems. The side effects of its excessive consumption have been explained in detail above in the article.
Does salt have healing properties?
No, salt does not have healing properties, but by consuming too much salt, it affects the healing ability of the body in a negative way.
What does salt shake mean?
Salt trick means small health benefits with its help.