Benefits of Potato ;- Potato is the only food item in the world, which can be used in all types of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. Especially, in a state like West Bengal, it is usually used in all kinds of vegetables. It is the most common vegetable, so people ignore its properties, but let us tell you that potato can prevent from many common physical problems to deadly diseases like cancer. In this article, know how a simple potato can work to keep you healthy. Before that let’s talk about the types of potatoes.
Types of Potatoes
- Russet Potato: What is a Russet Potato, you would say? This is the most common type of potato. It is small, medium and large in size and has a brown (skin color) color. It is delicious to eat and is usually used the most for making vegetables.
- Red Potato: This is another type of potato, which is red in colour. It is very tasty to eat, which you can use to make soups and salads. Apart from this, you can also roast them and eat them.
- White Potato: This potato is white in appearance and looks beautiful. It is also wonderful to eat. You can eat it by boiling or roasting it.
- Yellow Potato: According to the name, the color of this potato is yellow. Especially, it is used more in non-vegetarian dishes. This is especially true for dishes that are grilled or roasted.
- Purple Potato: This is a special type of potato, which is purple in color. These types of potatoes are perfect for grilling, baking and roasting. After knowing what is purple potato, know below about the benefits of potatoes.
Benefits of Potato
Potatoes are counted as one of the delicious and nutritious food items. Not only does it work to fill the stomach, but the medicinal properties present in it can also work to relieve physical problems. It is rich in fiber and potassium. Fiber works to get rid of problems like constipation and obesity and potassium works to balance the fluid in the body. Find out below how the properties of potatoes promote health. ( Benefits of Potato )
Benefits of Potato for Health
1. Heart Health
Potatoes can be beneficial for heart health. It is free from cholesterol, so it can be consumed to keep the heart healthy. According to a report, increasing cholesterol level in the body can badly affect the heart.
In addition, potatoes are rich in fiber, which works to control weight. According to one report, increasing weight acts to increase blood pressure and high blood pressure can lead to stroke.
Potatoes also contain elements like potassium, which can work to keep the heart healthy. According to one report, consuming potassium-rich food can control blood pressure and protect against the risk of heart diseases associated with blood pressure.
2. Blood pressure
Potato can also play an important role in controlling blood pressure. As we mentioned above that potatoes are rich in potassium and potassium can work to control blood pressure. In addition, the fiber present in potatoes may reduce the effects of hypertension in patients suffering from blood pressure. Cholesterol is also a cause of blood pressure and potatoes are cholesterol free. Thus potatoes may play an important role in controlling blood pressure. ( Benefits of Potato )
The role of vitamin-C can also be seen in controlling the body’s blood pressure. According to a report, supplements containing vitamin-C can work to reduce SBP and DBP (systolic and diastolic blood pressure). However, more research is needed to better understand the effect of vitamin C on blood pressure.
3. Bone Health
The benefits of potatoes can also be seen to keep bones healthy. Potato is rich in magnesium, which is counted among the essential nutrients for bones. According to the report, magnesium can help in the structural development of bones.
Calcium is also found in potatoes, the most important nutrient for bones. Calcium plays an important role in the development and strength of bones. According to a report, the lack of calcium in the body can lead to the problem of osteoporosis, due to which the bones become weak and fragile. In addition, calcium deficiency can lead to fractures along with inhibiting bone growth. You can include potatoes in the daily diet to maintain an adequate amount of calcium in the body.
The main reason behind bone diseases like osteoporosis is being physically weak or underweight. Potatoes can be consumed to overcome leanness, as potatoes are also rich in calories and carbohydrates, which can promote bone health by freeing you from leanness.
You will be surprised to know that the benefits of potatoes can also be seen for deadly diseases like cancer. As we mentioned above that potatoes are free from cholesterol and according to a report cholesterol can cause many types of cancer in the body. However, this still requires further proof.
Potato is considered an important source of vitamin-C, which acts as an antioxidant. Thus potatoes can play a protective role against cancer. According to scientific reports, vitamin-C can be used for cancer therapy. In addition, potatoes are rich in vitamins, minerals, fats, proteins and carbohydrates, which provide the body with complete nutrition to fight cancer.
The properties of potatoes can also be seen to keep the digestive system healthy. As we mentioned earlier, potatoes are rich in fiber, which works effectively on stomach related problems. Fiber is an essential nutrient, which promotes digestion and works to relieve problems like constipation.
Apart from this, potato is also rich in niacin (Vitamin B-3) element of vitamin-B group. Niacin may act to regulate the digestive system. Not only is potato a starchy carbohydrate, it is easily digested and can provide instant energy.
6. Kidney Stone
The benefits of potatoes can also be seen in taking out kidney stones. Potatoes are a good source of potassium and according to a report, stones can be cured with the help of potassium. Apart from this, the fiber present in potatoes can also help in flushing out kidney stones. According to scientific studies, fiber intake may play a protective role against kidney stones in post-menopausal women.
Scurvy is a medical condition, which occurs due to the deficiency of Vitamin-C in the body. Vitamin A is an essential nutrient that is needed in the body for the formation of collagen (a protein found in skin, blood vessels and cartilage). Potato is rich in vitamin-C, which can protect against diseases like scurvy by fulfilling vitamin-C deficiency in the body.
Potato can also be beneficial in case of diarrhea. Potatoes contain essential nutrients like zinc, which can play an effective role in the prevention of diarrhea. According to one report, oral zinc supplementation can work to prevent acute diarrhea (which can last for three to five days). It has also been confirmed in a scientific research that zinc oral supplement can be used to prevent acute diarrhea.
In addition, potatoes are also rich in sodium and potassium, which are effective electrolytes. These work to control fluid in the body during diarrhea.
9. Reduces Inflammation
The benefits of potatoes do not end here. Potato can also be used to give rest to the body in case of inflammation. Here the role of potato peels can be seen. According to a report, potato and potato peel are rich in anti-inflammatory properties, which can work to reduce inflammation.
10. Brain Health
Potatoes contain an acid called alpha lipoic acid, which may contribute to brain development. According to scientific reports, lipoic can work to enhance memory in a patient suffering from Alzheimer’s. Apart from this, potato is also rich in Vitamin-C. According to a report, vitamin-C works to produce a special brain chemical called neurotransmitter. Neurotransmitters may work to improve brain function, such as regulating mood and sleep.( Benefits of Potato )
The benefits of eating potatoes can also be seen in strengthening the body’s immunity. As we mentioned earlier, potatoes are rich in Vitamin-C, which is known as an effective immunity booster. Vitamin C is an effective antioxidant, which plays an important role in operating the immune system. It also helps in the absorption of nutrients like iron in the body.
In addition, potatoes are rich in fiber and according to a report, fiber can play an important role in strengthening immunity.
12. Controls Weight
Potato can also play an important role in controlling body weight. As we mentioned, potatoes are rich in fiber, which works to control weight. Fiber-rich fruits work to keep the stomach full without adding too many calories.
Vitamin-C can also be effective in controlling weight. According to a report, there is an inverse relationship between vitamin C and body mass, that is, it can help in overcoming increasing weight. At the same time, weight loss depends on the way potatoes are made, consuming steamed, baked and boiled potatoes can be a good option for weight control.
Apart from this, potato chips, burgers, samosas, french fries are good options for weight gain. At the same time, potato comes in the category of a tuber or tuber. The specialty of potato is that it is kept in the category of most filling food. It can keep the stomach full for a long time and can control appetite. Apart from this, the role of potato in controlling weight also depends on the way the potato is prepared. Steaming, baked or boiled potatoes can be a good option to keep weight under control. At the same time, if you consume potato chips, burgers, samosas or french fries, then there may be a risk of weight gain. ( Benefits of Potato )
Cholesterol is a substance found in the blood. It helps build healthy cells in the body, but an excess of cholesterol in the blood can lead to heart disease and stroke. Potato is cholesterol free, that is, it can be consumed without worrying about increasing cholesterol.
14. Promote Sleep
The benefits of eating potatoes also include promoting sleep. As we mentioned that potato is rich in vitamin-C and vitamin-C produces neurotransmitter (brain chemical). The neurotransmitter may work to regulate mood and sleep by improving brain function. In addition, vitamin-C can work to relieve anxiety, stress, depression and fatigue, which can promote sleep. ( Benefits of Potato )
15. Premenstrual Symptoms
Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is a group of symptoms that can occur a week or two before a woman’s period. These include abdominal bloating, headache and mood changes. Potato can help you get rid of these symptoms seen before menstruation. It is rich in carbohydrates and fiber and according to a report fiber and carbohydrates can work to reduce premenstrual symptoms. ( Benefits of Potato )
After knowing the benefits of potatoes for health, let us now know the benefits of eating potatoes for the skin.
Benefits of Potato for Skin
Along with internal health, potatoes can also be very beneficial for the skin. Know below about the benefits of potatoes for the skin.
1. For wrinkles
With increasing age, many problems appear on their own, in which wrinkles are also one. Potato can help you to remove them. Potatoes are rich in vitamin-C, which can reduce the effects of aging by removing wrinkles. Know below how you can use potatoes for wrinkles:
How to use:
- Take a potato and peel it.
- Now make a paste with the help of mixer.
- Now apply this paste on your face for 20 minutes and then wash your face with cold water.
- You can do this remedy three to four times a week.
2. Dark spots
You can also use potatoes for dark spots on the skin . Potato is rich in vitamin-C, which can work to remove dark spots of the skin.
How to use:
- Blend the peeled potatoes in a blender.
- Apply the paste on your face and massage with light hands for about 5 minutes.
- Then wash your face with clean and cold water.
- You can use it daily for better results.
The benefits of potatoes can also be seen for conditions like sunburn. As we mentioned that potatoes are rich in vitamin-C, which can work to provide relief from sunburn. According to a study, vitamin-C can reduce problems like erythema (reddening of the skin) caused by harmful rays of the sun by 52 percent. Know below how to use potato for sunburn –
How to use:
- Keep potatoes in the fridge for some time.
- After cooling, cut the potato and apply a slice of it on the affected area for 15-20 minutes.
- You can also apply cold potato juice on the skin affected by sunburn.
4. Dark Circles and Puffy Eyes
Potato can help you in removing dark circles under the eyes . Potato is rich in Vitamin-E and C. Both of these act as effective antioxidants, which can work to get rid of dark circles on the skin. In addition, potatoes are also rich in anti-inflammatory properties, which may work to reduce eye inflammation.
How to use:
- Peel a potato and cut it into pieces.
- Then place these pieces on the dark circles under the eyes.
- Afterwards wash the face with lukewarm water.
- You can do this remedy daily for better results.
5. Dry Skin
You can use potato for dry skin. Potatoes are rich in vitamin-E, which works to hydrate the skin. Know below how to use potato for dry skin –
How to use:
- Grate half a potato and mix it with four spoons of curd to make a paste.
- Now apply the paste on the face for about 20 minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water.
6. For Glowing Skin
The benefits of potatoes can be seen in making the skin glowing. Potato has antioxidant properties like vitamin-C, which can work to brighten the skin. Know below how to use potato for glowing skin –
How to use:
- Grate a raw potato and apply on your face as a face mask.
- After about 30 minutes wash the face with cold water.
- You can do this remedy four to five times a week for best results.
Potato can also help you in removing dead cells from the skin. For this, you can use potatoes in the following way.
How to use:
- Grate a potato and apply it on the face.
- Wash the face with water after about 20 minutes.
- This remedy done regularly will work to remove dead cells from the skin.
Collagen is an important protein for skin health, which you can supplement through potatoes. Potato is rich in vitamin-C and vitamin C works to increase collagen.
After knowing the benefits of potatoes for health and skin, know below the benefits of potatoes for hair.
Benefits of Potato for Hair
Along with internal health and skin, potatoes are also beneficial for hair. Know below how to use potatoes for hair.
1. For Falling Hair
If you are troubled by hair fall, then potato can be used. Potato is rich in vitamin-C, which can work to get rid of the problem of hair fall. Know below how to use potatoes for hair.
How to use:
- Peel the potato and extract its juice.
- Then mix 2 tbsp potato juice with 2 tbsp aloe vera and 2 tbsp honey.
- Apply this mixture on the roots of the hair and massage your scalp with light hands.
- Then cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it for a few hours.
- Now finally wash the hair with shampoo.
2. For white hair
The role of potato can also be seen for premature gray hair. Potatoes are rich in vitamin B-12, folate and iron, which can work to prevent premature graying. A supplement made from these can also help strengthen hair. Know below how to use potatoes for white hair.
How to use:
- Boil potato peels in a pan of water.
- After boiling, strain the water in a glass.
- After shampooing the hair, you can wash the hair with potato water.
The benefits of eating potatoes for health, skin and hair, know below about the nutritious elements present in potatoes.
Potato Nutritional Value
|NUTRIENTS||QUANTITY PER 100 GRAMS|
|Total lipid (fat)||0.09g|
|fiber, total dietary||2.1g|
|Vitamin A, RAE||0µg|
|Vitamin A IU||2IU|
|Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)||0.01mg|
|Vitamin-D (D2 + D3)||0.0µg|
|Fatty Acids, Total Saturated||0.021g|
|Fatty Acids, Total Monounsaturated||0.002g|
|Fatty Acids, Total Polyunsaturated||0.042g|
|Fatty Acids, Total Trans||0.000g|
After knowing the benefits of potatoes, let us know how potatoes can be used.
How to Use Potato
The specialty of potato is that it can be used in various forms. Know below some of the best potato recipes, which you can try at your home.
1. Roasted Rainbow Potato
- 4-5 medium sized potatoes
- two garlic cloves crushed
- Chow Tbsp Olive Oil
- juice of a lemon
- 1 tsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degree Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet using aluminum foil.
- Peel the potatoes and halve them and place them in a bowl.
- Add lemon juice, olive oil, crushed garlic and salt to these potatoes and mix well.
- Now place the potatoes one by one on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes turn the potatoes over and bake again for another 10 minutes.
- Now take out the baked potatoes, serve in a plate and sprinkle coriander leaves on top for garnishing.
2. Potato Peas
- three tablespoons vegetable oil
- two onions chopped
- three garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger finely chopped
- a bay leaf
- 4 large potatoes (cleaned, peeled and diced)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- two tablespoons water
- tsp garam masala
- pinch turmeric
- tsp coriander powder
- tsp red chili powder
- Two spoon chopped coriander leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and add onion, garlic, ginger and bay leaf and stir for three to five minutes, till the onions become soft.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add potatoes and peas and stir well.
- Add garam masala, red chili powder, turmeric and coriander powder on top and stir the spoon well for four to five minutes. Take care that the material does not burn.
- Now add two cups of water and cook for about 15 minutes, till the potatoes become soft.
- Add salt and pepper powder to taste.
- After making sure that the potatoes and peas are cooked, take off the pan and sprinkle coriander leaves on top for garnishing.
After the physical benefits and methods of use of potatoes, now know how to select and store it.
How to choose potatoes and preserve them for a long time?
Selection: Instead of getting potatoes sold in plastic bags at the vegetable store, you can choose potatoes that are sold in bulk. You can choose good potatoes here as per your wish. While buying potatoes, definitely follow the tips given below.
- Choose potatoes with smooth and soft skin.
- Avoid spots, dark spots and overly soft potatoes.
- Avoid potatoes with green spots.
- Do not choose sprouted potatoes.
- If you are buying potatoes in large quantities, then make sure that there are no rotten potatoes in it, as this can spoil other potatoes as well.
- It is equally important to store potatoes properly.
- Potatoes should be stored in a dark, dry and ventilated place at a temperature of 40°F to 45°F. The high room temperature can soak up all the moisture in the potatoes.
- Keep potatoes out of sunlight.
- Do not keep potatoes with onions, it can spoil both the vegetables.
- Potatoes can be stored in paper bags.
- Potatoes can be stored for a week or two at room temperature, protected from moisture.
After knowing about the advantages, disadvantages, selection and store of potatoes, know the disadvantages of potatoes.
Side Effects of Potato
There is no doubt that potato is a healthy food item, but its excessive consumption can cause the following problems:
- Potatoes are rich in carbohydrates and high amounts of carbohydrates can increase calories, which can lead to obesity.
- If the potato has sprouted then it should not be consumed.
- Potatoes are also rich in potassium and consuming too much potassium can cause hyperkalemia (high potassium in the body). This can cause problems such as vomiting, chest pain, shortness of breath and nausea.
- Excessive consumption of potatoes can also cause type 2 diabetes. Actually, potato is a high glycemic food item. Its digestion is quick and there is a risk of increasing blood sugar. Therefore, diabetic patients are advised to consume it in moderation.
These were the most miraculous benefits of potatoes for the body. If you are troubled by any of the physical problems mentioned in the article, then you can include potatoes in your daily diet. Also keep in mind that excessive consumption can cause the side effects mentioned. Especially, diabetic patients should consume potatoes only on medical advice. Hope this article written on the benefits of potatoes will prove to be helpful for you. Share this with other people and make everyone aware of this information related to potatoes. Also, stay connected with health life for more such information.
Frequently Asked Question
Q.1 Does eating potato vegetable cause gas?
There are many vegetables such as broccoli, legumes, cabbage, asparagus, cheese, bread, ice cream, milk, artificial sweetener, potatoes, peas, soft drinks and wheat, which cause more gas after eating.
Q.3 What happens to the body by eating potatoes?
Boiled potatoes are rich in many vitamins and minerals. It is rich in potassium, phosphorus, B-complex, vitamin-C, which is very important for our healthy body. They are low in calories and fat, while there is a good amount of fiber. Eating which keeps the stomach full for a long time.
Q.4 How to get fairness from potatoes?
Peel half a potato and extract its juice and add two spoons of raw milk to it, mix it well and apply the help of cotton on the face and neck. Then wash it after 20 minutes. By applying it thrice a week, the difference will be visible on the face.
Q.6 Which disease occurs in potato?
Late blight – This is a very destructive disease of potato. Due to this disease caused by changes in the environment, the crop is completely destroyed in four to six days. In the disease, black-brown spots appear on the leaves which later increase.
Q.7 How to eat potatoes to gain weight?
ou can include potatoes in your diet, potatoes contain carbohydrates and complex sugar, which helps in increasing your weight. Potato goes with every vegetable, so you can eat it with any vegetable. You can eat ghee by adding it to your lentils, Ghee contains a good amount of Aturated Fats and Calories.
Q.9 Why is the inside of a potato red?
Buying white potatoes at cheap rates, they are first washed with soapy water. It is then added to the paint to make it red. To mix it is pressed with the foot. Because of this, the color penetrates completely in the potato.
Q.10 What happens if you eat green potatoes?
Research has found that green potatoes contain a high amount of solanine, which is a poisonous substance. Consuming it in excess can be harmful to the body. Apart from this, problems like nausea, headache, diarrhea, vomiting can also occur due to its consumption.