Let us know about the Benefits of eating sugarcane. Today we are going to tell you about the advantages and disadvantages of eating sugarcane. Sugarcane is such a fruit of India that everyone likes very much. Drinking sugarcane juice in summers has its own fun. Sugarcane juice is one of the most beneficial juices. Along with being rich in nutrients and vitamins, it is also beneficial for health.
This delicious sugarcane juice is not only tasty to eat but also nutritious. It is considered healthy according to traditional Indian medicine. This does not mean pure sugar , but rather contains water , fiber and some amount of sucrose. It is very important to know the advantages and disadvantages of eating sugarcane . The taste of eating it and drinking sugarcane juice is very tasty.
Origin of sugarcane
Sugarcane originated in New Guinea where it has been cultivated for thousands of years. Sugarcane is scientifically known as Saccharum officinarum. It is grown in subtropical and tropical regions. After Brazil, it has developed tremendously in India. With 1.8 billion tonnes, sugarcane is the world’s largest crop by production volume. There are many varieties of sugarcane which grow throughout the year in different parts of India. Occasional sugarcane cultivation takes place in Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Goa, Pondicherry and Kerala.
Advantages and disadvantages of eating sugarcane
Benefits of eating sugarcane
- Sugarcane helps in bringing back the lost energy of our body.
- Sugarcane juice also helps in reducing wrinkles.
- Sugarcane juice also keeps bad breath away from tooth decay.
- Sugarcane juice can help relieve digestive problems like constipation.
- The presence of potassium in sugarcane juice is great for maintaining the pH balance of your stomach and gets your digestive juices flowing and thus helps in relieving constipation.
- Consuming small amounts of sugarcane juice can prove beneficial for diabetic patients.
- Sugarcane juice has the ability to help reduce and heal skin problems like acne.
- Sugarcane is rich in minerals including calcium and phosphorus and also helps in strengthening the teeth.
- Sugarcane juice helps in keeping the kidney in the right shape.
- Sugarcane juice balances the pH level in the stomach, facilitates the secretion of digestive juices and keeps the system in good shape. It also helps in preventing stomach infection.
- Sugarcane juice is considered to be one of the best natural remedies for liver related ailments like jaundice.
Disadvantages of eating sugarcane
- Consuming too much of a substance called policosanol present in sugarcane can cause insomnia, upset stomach, dizziness, headache and weight loss.
- It can also thin the blood and affect the level of cholesterol in the blood.
- Never drink sugarcane juice if you are taking any such medicine which is already thinning your blood.
Uses of sugarcane juice
- Sugarcane is ideal for sore throat and increases muscle strength as it contains natural glucose which is required by the body to maintain stamina
- Sugarcane can also be used for the manufacture of paper, this helps in reducing deforestation to a great extent.
- Its main use is in the industrial processing of the stalks to make rum.
- Sugarcane bagasse and straw are residues of sugarcane production. They can be used to produce electricity, second generation ethanol, and biogas. These are the three types of fuel energy carriers that can be used to power light vehicles.
- Sugarcane is also used to make jaggery and sugar candy.