The chemical names of baking soda are sodium bicarbonate and citrocarbonate. It is usually found in every house. It is used in many food items, but many other things can also be done from it. Do you know how beneficial baking soda is for the skin? If not, then definitely read this article of Health life line till the end. Here you will be able to know what are the benefits of applying baking soda on the face. Also, how can you use baking soda for the skin and what are its side effects.
Why is baking soda beneficial for your skin?
Before discussing the benefits of baking soda for the skin, it has to be known that what are the properties found in it.
- Baking soda, whose chemical name is sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3), is also called sweet soda or ‘eating soda’, because it is also used in the preparation of food.
- Baking soda also has antibacterial, antifungal, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, which can prove beneficial for the skin.
- Research has shown that for the treatment of psoriasis (a disease related to the skin), bathing by adding baking soda to the bath water gets rid of this problem. This water can also reduce itching and burning in the skin.
Benefits Of Baking Soda For The Skin
The benefits of baking soda are many for the skin, baking soda can be considered a good agent for the skin. This can prove to be helpful in protecting the skin from damage. Here we will talk about some such benefits of baking soda. Before that, let us make it clear that the scientific evidence on baking soda in relation to the skin is very less.
1. Baking Soda for Acne
Talking about home remedies, baking soda can be used to get relief from acne . The main reason behind this is believed to be that baking soda has antibacterial properties. At the same time, if we talk about scientific evidence, then there is a lack of study in this regard. Also, it is advised not to use baking soda in the treatment of acne on scientific basis .
2. Baking Soda for Glowing Skin
There are two different beliefs about baking soda for the skin. A research paper available from the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) describes the relationship between the skin and baking soda. This research says that if someone has a problem of chickenpox, then bathing with a little baking soda in cold water can be beneficial.
At the same time, according to the research paper on the site of NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information), baking soda is not beneficial for the skin. A university in Italy did research on products containing baking soda. The university believes that baking soda is not beneficial in relieving skin diseases such as psoriasis.
3. Baking Soda for Dark Spots
If the skin starts producing melanin in excess, then it can lead to the problem of hyperpigmentation. This can cause dark spots on the skin. In such a situation, the benefits of baking soda can be beneficial for the skin. Actually, it is mentioned that baking soda can be used as a skin cleansing cleanser. In addition, it is also a natural exfoliant, which can help remove blemishes caused by hyperpigmentation.
4. Baking Soda for Black Heads
When the skin becomes very oily, then the problem of acne starts increasing. There are also many types of these acne, in which whiteheads and blackheads also come. To remove it, baking soda can be used on the face, as it has exfoliating properties. It cleans the dirt and excess oil from the skin. Also it can normalize the pH level of the skin. At the moment, scientific studies are being done to prove this fact.
5. Baking soda will remove dead skin on the face
The process of skin exfoliation is considered effective in removing dead skin cells. In addition, this process can also help to enhance the quality of the skin and improve its tone. At the same time, baking soda can prove beneficial for the skin in this process as well. According to a research, bathing with water containing baking soda can help in skin exfoliation, which can eliminate dead skin cells. On this basis, bathing by mixing baking soda in water can be beneficial to clean the dead skin.
6. Benefits of Baking Soda for Dark Knees and Elbows
Sometimes due to pigmentation in the skin, knees and elbows can also turn black. To cure this, only the exfoliant property of baking soda comes in handy. It can remove pigmentation and remove dead skin cells.
7. Benefits of Baking Soda on Lips
At times, like the skin, the lips also start looking dark. This is due to the accumulation of dead cells on the skin. In such a situation, baking soda can prove to be helpful in cleaning the lips properly by removing these dead cells by acting as an exfoliant. Keep in mind that by mixing water with baking soda, use it for the lips.
now read on
In the next section of the article, we get to know different ways of applying baking soda on the skin.
How to use baking soda on skin and face?
The skin is considered a sensitive part of our body. In such a situation, whenever we try any home remedy, do a patch test once to make sure that there is no allergy to it. Here we are telling some such home remedies of baking soda, which you must do a patch test before using.
- Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar: Mix one spoon of baking soda with one spoon of water and apple cider vinegar and apply it on the affected area. Then after 10-15 minutes wash the face with cold water.
- Baking soda and water: Mix one teaspoon of baking soda with one teaspoon of water, make a light thick paste and apply it well on the area of whiteheads and blackheads and rub it with light hands in circular motion. When it dries, wash off with normal water.
- Honey and Baking Soda: Make a paste of one teaspoon honey and one tablespoon baking soda. It can be applied all over the face and neck. Wash it off with lukewarm water after 10 to 15 minutes.
- Baking Soda and Vinegar: Mix 2-3 tablespoons of vinegar in a quarter cup of baking soda and take water as needed. Now make these three by mixing them. Apply this paste on the face, hands, feet or whatever part of the body is tanned. After drying for 10 minutes, rub it with the help of fingers in circular motion. Then wash off with water.
- Baking soda and coconut oil: Mix 1 to 2 teaspoons of baking soda and half a teaspoon of coconut oil and apply it on the skin rash area. Leave it for 5 minutes then wash it off with water.
- Baking Soda, Aloe Vera Gel and Rose Water: Prepare a paste by mixing 2 to 3 teaspoons of baking soda, half a teaspoon of rose water, one teaspoon of aloe vera gel. To enhance the complexion of the face, apply it on the skin and rub it lightly with the help of fingers for 2 minutes.
- Baking soda and water: Make a paste by mixing 2 teaspoons of baking soda and one teaspoon of water, then apply it on the face. After this, with the help of fingers, rub the face in circular motion for two minutes. Then wash off with water.
- Baking soda and orange peel: Make a paste by mixing 2 teaspoons orange peel and 1 teaspoon baking soda. Now apply it on the face and after 15 minutes, sprinkle water on the face and massage it with light hands. Then wash the face with cold water.
Take precautions before using baking soda on the skin
- Keep in mind that never use baking soda directly on the skin, mix it with anything.
- While applying on the skin, keep in mind that baking soda does not go inside the mouth, otherwise there may be problems like gas and stomach pain.
- Do a patch test before using any face pack containing baking soda.
- While applying baking soda on the face, keep in mind that it does not get in the eyes.
- If there is a wound on the skin, do not apply baking soda there.
stay with us
Let us now talk about some side effects of using baking soda.
Side Effects Of Using Baking Soda On Your Face
You know the baking soda benefits for skin, but it also has some side effects, which are very important to know before using it.
- Sometimes baking soda can cause itching, swelling and irritation in the skin.
- When using baking soda on the face, protect the eyes, as it can irritate the eyes if it comes in contact with them.
- Frequent and excessive use of baking soda can cause dry skin.
- Using baking soda can cause premature wrinkles in the skin.
- Excessive use of baking soda can also cause problems like breakouts in the skin.
After all the information related to baking soda for skin, now we hope that the benefits of baking soda for skin are well understood. At the same time, you must have got information about how to use it. In such a situation, now you can get its benefits by making baking soda a part of your skin care routine. Also, keep in mind that its effect will not be visible immediately. Hope you liked this information.
Frequently asked questions
Can Baking Soda Remove Dark Spots?
Yes, baking soda has exfoliant properties, so it can help remove blemishes from the skin due to hyperpigmentation. This regard has been explained in detail in the above article.
Does Baking Soda Make You White?
No, bathing with water containing baking soda can help with skin exfoliation. With this, it removes the dead skin and brightens the skin tone. Keep in mind that no home remedy or cream makes it fair.
Can baking soda be applied directly on the face?
No, it would be appropriate to use baking soda mixed with water.
Is baking soda harmful to the skin?
Yes, some people have more sensitive skin, due to which they may be harmed by baking soda.
How long should baking soda be left on the face?
Baking soda should not be applied on the face for more than 10-15 minutes.
Can baking soda cause pimples on the face?
No, baking soda can help remove pimples.
How Much Baking Soda Should I Eat?
But you know how beneficial it is for our health. By consuming it, you can avoid many diseases. Drinking a spoonful of baking soda in a glass of water on an empty stomach every day can help you get rid of many serious diseases.
What happens when you apply baking soda on your face?
Get rid of dead skin and baking soda also does this job well. The properties present in it not only help in removing dead skin cells from the skin but also give it a new glow and beauty. While using the cleanser at night, add a teaspoon of baking soda powder to it. Now massage the face with light hands.
What happens when you apply baking soda?
Along with eliminating acne and pimples, it is also helpful in balancing the pH level of the skin. Make a paste by mixing a little water in a teaspoon of baking soda. Apply this paste on the affected area for one to two minutes. Doing it 2 to 3 times a day will be beneficial.
Does eating sweet soda clear the stomach?
Eating soda is very beneficial in the problem of constipation. In the problem of constipation, drinking soda mixed with water can get rid of constipation.
How to remove stains with baking soda?
There is baking soda at home, so if you want to remove any stain within a week, then take one teaspoon of baking soda to get three teaspoons. Make sure to use it at least once a day.
How is Baking Soda Made?
Baking soda (NaHCO3) – NaHCO3 is formed by the reaction of NaCl with NH3 and CO2 gas. … (iii) Sodium hydrogen carbonate (baking soda) is also a component of antacids. Being alkaline, it provides relief by neutralizing the excess acid in the stomach.
Are Sweetened Soda and Baking Soda the Same?
Most people think that baking soda and powder are one and the same. But there is a big difference between baking powder and soda. But let us tell you that baking soda is slightly coarse, whereas baking powder is very smooth to touch, just like all purpose flour or cornflour. Baking soda or sweetened soda contains sodium bicarbonate.