Let us know about Barley water during pregnancy. Pregnancy is a difficult time for a mother-to-be, especially when it comes to what to eat and what not to eat. One such thing is barley water.
Is it safe to consume barley during pregnancy??
Barley water is a healthy drink made using barley grains. Barley has a nutty taste, and barley water is beneficial for pregnant women as it helps maintain their good health during pregnancy.
Drinking barley water regularly helps prevent many potential health problems and provides nutrition to the body. Additionally, you can also add it to your salads, soups and steamed vegetables.
However, there are many conflicting views about consuming barley water during pregnancy due to certain risks, which we will tell you further.
Health benefits of drinking barley water
There are many benefits of drinking barley water. Barley water can be easily prepared at home, contains 100% natural ingredients, and is safe for anyone to consume. It is a natural medicine for many diseases and also helps in prevention from many diseases.
- Barley is a source of calcium, potassium, magnesium and iron, which are essential for the development of the fetus.
- It is rich in dietary fiber, which helps in preventing some common problems of pregnant women like constipation and piles.
- Barley contains niacin, which helps in digestion. Niacin also helps in forming blood clots which is helpful during caesarean or normal delivery.
- The low glycemic index of barley maintains blood sugar levels and prevents gestational diabetes.
- Barley grains are rich in folic acid, which helps prevent neural tube defects such as cleft lip and spinal bifida in the baby.
- The copper present in barley helps maintain the flexibility of blood vessels, bones and joints during pregnancy.
- Barley is a diuretic agent and provides relief from yeast infections and urinary tract infections (UTIs).
- It reduces inflammation of the stomach and flushes out toxins from the body, thus protecting it from various infections.
- Drinking barley water helps in dealing with the problem of nausea and provides relief from stomach cramps and heartburn.
- Since your belly increases in size during pregnancy, barley helps in tissue repair and cell growth, which is good for the belly.
- Barley has lactogenic properties which help in producing more milk in the breasts.
- It lowers the cholesterol level, thus keeping away the chances of heart problems.
- Barley can help in relieving swollen feet, which is one of the most common problems faced by pregnant women.
Common Risks Associated with Consuming Barley
When pregnant women drink barley water, there are hardly any side effects. However, some women may experience the following:
- Some women may be allergic to barley, and consuming it can cause itching, shortness of breath, and rashes.
- Barley dust can trigger sinus, eye pain, or nasal congestion in some women.
- If barley had a fungal infection and was consumed by a pregnant woman, she could suffer from Kashin Beck’s disease, a bone problem.
- Women who are gluten intolerant should not consume barley.
How to make barley water
Homemade barley water is healthier than packaged barley water containing added sugar and preservatives.
How to make barley water:
- Wash the barley under running tap water and soak it in water for at least 3 to 4 hours.
- Sieve it and add 3-4 cups of water to 1 cup of barley.
- Put the mixture in a pan to boil. Once it starts boiling, cover it with a lid. Leave it to simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, till the barley is well cooked and soft.
- Give enough time for the mixture to cool down.
- Once it cools, strain the barley mixture through a fine-mesh strainer or pour it into a cup slowly, leaving the grains at the bottom of the pan.
- Consume 1 or 2 cups of this water daily. You can enhance its taste by adding some lemon juice or honey.
- Leftover barley water can be stored in the refrigerator for a maximum of 3 days.
Barley grains can also be used to thicken soups or stews and can also be added to smoothies.
Both barley water and barley grains are beneficial for pregnant women. The abundance of nutrients in barley ensures a healthy pregnancy. However, one must be cautious while purchasing it, and ensure that the barley is fresh. Barley should not be consumed in excess and one should always follow the doctor’s instructions in case of any discomfort or discomfort.