Let’s know about Apple cider vinegar during pregnancy. You need extra caution and care during pregnancy. During this time a woman’s body goes through many changes such as hormonal imbalance and weakening of the immune system etc. To cope with all these changes during pregnancy, it is important that you take good care of yourself. In such a situation, apple cider vinegar can prove to be very beneficial for pregnant women, so let us know how you can consume it.
What is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is one of several types of vinegar. It is made from cider, a type of concentrated apple that is left to ferment for a period of time. This cider is fermented in alcohol before it is converted to acetic acid. It is safer to consume pasteurized vinegar, as it is free of harmful bacteria that can cause E-coli in pregnancy.
You can also use this great ingredient in salads, sandwiches and mixers. However, drinking one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar daily is more beneficial. Remember that unfiltered, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar can be harmful to you if consumed undiluted with water or juice, as it can burn the esophagus. That’s why it is advised that you consume one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar by mixing it in a glass of water or mixing it in juice.
Is It Safe to Consume Apple Cider Vinegar During Pregnancy?
Apple cider vinegar is safe to consume during pregnancy as long as it is pasteurized or mixed with water or juice. Consuming raw apple cider vinegar is especially prohibited during pregnancy, as it may contain harmful bacteria and your immunity is weak during pregnancy, thus harming you. The bacteria found in unpasteurized ACV are healthy for people who are not pregnant and have a strong immune system. Pregnant women need to be more careful, Because a child needs different things for its development. Another thing to keep in mind is that during pregnancy, antibodies work a lot to boost your immune system and it may be unable to combat the effects of these types of bacteria, so be careful.
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
Consuming apple cider vinegar during pregnancy is recommended because it helps in boosting your immunity and also has many health benefits which are mentioned below:
- Prevents Urinary Tract Infections – Apple cider vinegar contains enzymes and minerals that prevent and treat urinary tract infections. Consume apple cider vinegar by mixing it with anything, you can drink 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar mixed with a glass of water twice a day.
- Prevents Heartburn – Around the 12th week of pregnancy, pregnant women start having heartburn. Apple cider vinegar helps in reducing heartburn and provides instant relief.
- Controls blood sugar – The enzymes present in ACV help control blood sugar levels. Women who have problems with blood sugar during pregnancy often use apple cider vinegar to bring it under control.
- Controls blood pressure – ACV contains minerals and enzymes that together control blood sugar, reducing the problem of blood pressure, which is very common during the third trimester.
- Helps to cure cold and cough – Cold and blocked nose are a common problem during pregnancy. Mixing ACV in lukewarm water and drinking it helps to get rid of common cold, viral, sinus infection.
- Improves Blood Circulation – Apple cider vinegar improves blood circulation, keeping you active, especially during pregnancy, as you tend to feel more lethargic during the second trimester.
- Reduces bloating and flatulence – Bloating is common in women during the third trimester of pregnancy. ACV has anti-inflammatory properties that help prevent and reduce inflammation.
- Reduces acne – Another common problem that occurs during pregnancy is acne, which gets worse if you already have acne. ACV is very good for your skin which helps to cleanse it and remove the problem of acne.
Apple cider vinegar helps to overcome many problems during pregnancy and also improves your immunity.
How Much Apple Cider Vinegar Should Be Consumed During Pregnancy?
Women who are pregnant are advised to consume 1-2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a day, you can drink it mixed with one or half a glass of water up to 2 times a day.
Pasteurized or Unpasteurized Vinegar – Which is Better to Use?
The first thing you should do during pregnancy is to use pasteurized apple cider vinegar as it kills harmful bacteria. Consuming pasteurized ACV is also recommended because you get more benefits from it.
What are the dangers of consuming apple cider vinegar?
By consuming apple cider vinegar, you may face the following risks.
Drinking undiluted apple cider vinegar can harm various parts of your digestive system, as it contains acetic acid, which can burn the esophagus. If apple cider vinegar is used in its raw form, it can also harm your teeth due to its acidic nature.
ACV has harmful effects when mixed with drugs like insulin and some diuretics. Therefore, if you are taking these medicines, then before consuming apple cider vinegar, talk to the doctor that it will not react with your medicines.
Tips for pregnant women
There are a few things you should keep in mind while consuming apple cider vinegar during pregnancy.
- You should be careful when consuming apple cider vinegar capsules or supplements. First consult your doctor, then consume it.
- Consume apple cider vinegar in moderation after consulting your doctor.
- Do not consume apple cider vinegar by mixing it with other vinegar. This can increase acidity.
- Do not use apple cider vinegar as a substitute for any medication unless your doctor has prescribed it.
- If going for apple cider vinegar mocktails, be careful while consuming it.
- Buy organic apple cider vinegar to get the most out of it.
- Do not consume apple cider vinegar without adding it to water or fruit juice, as it can have a bad effect on your tooth enamel and food pipe. Drink it only with water or any liquid without acid.
- To prevent tooth enamel from getting damaged, wash your mouth with water immediately after consuming apple cider vinegar.
- If you are suffering from any stomach problem, then you should not consume apple cider vinegar unless your doctor has advised you to take it.
- Avoid consuming apple cider vinegar 30 minutes before or after drinking coffee or tea.
When to consult a doctor
If you notice any of the following symptoms after consuming apple cider vinegar, you should see your doctor immediately:
- You may have a red, burning and itchy rash on your face
- There may be acidity, indigestion or any stomach problem
- You may feel nausea and vomit
- may feel dizzy
How to Consume Apple Cider Vinegar
- Add one teaspoon of ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) in a glass of filtered water or coconut water and add two teaspoons of honey to it, mix it well and then drink it.
- You can drink it by adding one teaspoon of ACV to a glass of fruit juice (low-acid juice). If required, you can add a spoon of honey to it.
Apple cider vinegar is beneficial for your body, especially during pregnancy. Its consumption is safe for you to a great extent and you get many health benefits from it. Pregnant women are advised to use pasteurized apple cider vinegar. You can take one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, mixed with a glass of water, one to two times a day, or according to the amount prescribed by your doctor.