During pregnancy, women need to be careful about their diet. Because at this time their body is weak and some foods can also have harmful effects. Almonds are rich in essential fats, nutrients and vitamins that are essential for the healthy development of the baby in each trimester of pregnancy. If the right amount of this is included in the regular pregnancy diet, then definitely you will have a healthy pregnancy.
The following information has been given related to eating almonds during pregnancy, let us know;
Eating almonds during pregnancy
Almonds are safe to eat in moderation during pregnancy. Following are the benefits of nutrition-rich almonds, let us know;
- The fiber present in almonds, which is excellent for digestion, as well as the vitamin ‘E’ present in it, which keeps hair and skin healthy.
- The magnesium , riboflavin and folate ( vitamin B9) present in it are essential for the smooth functioning of the brain as well as for maintaining the nervous system.
- The manganese present in almonds controls the weight of the mother and the baby.
Nutritional value of almonds
Raw almonds can be eaten as a snack on their own or in moderation with meals. Following is its nutrition chart , let’s find out ;
Nutritional Value of Almonds (per gram)
- Energy – 576 Kcal
- Carbohydrate – 21.69 grams
- Fat – 49.42 grams
- Protein – 21.22 grams
- Vitamins – Beta Carotene , Vitamin A , B1 , B2 , B3 , B5 , B6 , B9 , Choline , Vitamin E and K
- Trace Metals – Calcium , Iron , Magnesium , Manganese , Phosphorus , Potassium , Sodium , Zinc
( Source : National Nutrient Database )
From the above list, you can see that a small almond contains a variety of nutrients.
Is it safe to eat almonds during pregnancy
Generally, most women avoid almonds during pregnancy because of their high body temperature and fat content.
The truth is that it is completely safe to consume almonds during pregnancy. There are rumors and myths that eating almonds during pregnancy can cause almond allergy to the unborn baby, which is not true. If you are allergic to almonds or nuts in general , consult a doctor before including them in your diet. But if you were not allergic to almonds before pregnancy, then there is a possibility that you will not be allergic to it during pregnancy.
However , keep in mind that according to some reports, excessive consumption of raw almonds can lead to preterm labor. That’s why it is mandatory to eat it in moderation.
A safe and healthy way to consume almonds is to soak them in water and peel off the skin before eating. The tannin present in its peel keeps the nutrients in almonds pressed inside. By peeling its peel, the nutrients present in almonds are freed and eating it after soaking it also helps in digestion.
benefits of eating almonds during pregnancy
According to science, it is safe to eat almonds during pregnancy. Following are the health benefits associated with almonds , let us know ;
- Folic acid , present in almonds , meets the requirements of the brain and helps in the development of the nervous system of the foetus.
- Dietary fat and carbs are present in high amounts in almonds. It helps in reducing oxidative stress ( imbalance in free – radicals and anti – oxidants ), inflammation and blood sugar. This helps protect the baby from metabolic disorders later in life if the mother has pregnancy-related risks such as diabetes and obesity .
- Almonds help reduce the hunger hormone called ghrelin and increase the hunger hormone called leptin. It keeps you healthy and in control of your weight and also helps in reducing the weight gain after pregnancy.
- The iron content in it develops the heart of the baby and helps in boosting immunity.
- Consuming 4-6 almonds every morning increases memory power.
- Soak almonds overnight and boil them in the morning to make a paste. If this paste is used as a scrub, it removes dead skin cells and gives you beautiful skin.
- Soaking almonds releases the lipase present in it, which helps in reducing fat. It improves digestion and helps in absorbing nutrients.
- According to research, the amount of alpha – tocopherol increases by consuming almonds . Alpha – tocopherol is a component present in the blood that helps in controlling blood pressure.
Some precautions to be taken while eating almonds during pregnancy
- Rich in Vitamin E: Almonds are rich in Vitamin E and provide 48% of Vitamin E in just 1 ounce (28.35 grams). Other green vegetables and fruits also contain Vitamin ‘E’ which are recommended to be eaten during pregnancy. Excessive intake of Vitamin ‘E’ causes blurred vision, headache and the possibility of diarrhea is also high.
- Flatulence and constipation: Consuming more almonds than recommended can cause flatulence and constipation. This is because almonds are high in fiber and your body is not used to consuming large amounts of fiber every day.
Best Ways to Eat Almonds
- Eating raw almonds as a snack : Garnishing a variety of dishes with almonds makes the dishes more crunchy and delicious. You can also eat it raw as a snack.
- Soaked almonds : Soaking almonds in water destroys all the toxins present on it , dissolves the gluten in water and releases the phytic acid. This makes it a healthy food to eat raw.
- Almond milk :healthyit still provides high amounts of nutrients and is the best option for people who are lactose intolerant .
- Almond Butter : By preparing almonds in the form of a paste, it is known as almond butter. By adding water to it, it is called almond milk. Almond butter is the best source of protein ,fiber, healthy fat and it also lowers cholesterol.
Approximately how many almonds should a woman eat during pregnancy ?
There are approximately 23 almonds in 28 grams of almonds. Eating 28 grams of almonds per day provides the best benefits without any harm.
There are 164 calories in 28 grams of almonds , 14.36 grams of fat (73%), 5.6 grams of carbs (14%) and 6.03 grams of protein (13%) .
Eating almonds mixed with raisins and dates can cause pitta-related problems , including acidity and heartburn.
If you want to make a schedule of when and how many almonds to eat regularly, then it would be appropriate for you to eat 10 almonds in the morning and 10 almonds in the evening. Everyone is different , so plan according to what works best for your body in consultation with your doctor.
Considering the many benefits of almonds, pregnant women who are not allergic to them should definitely include almonds in their diet. But make sure to eat it in moderation as consuming too much can have harmful consequences. Keep it soaked in water for overnight , eating soaked almonds is more beneficial than dry almonds. Consume almonds in moderation and enjoy a healthy pregnancy.